Besan pudla (chilla) is a tasty and healthy recipe made with a combination of gram flour, semolina, and regular spices. It is a nutritious meal for early morning breakfast or perhaps as a snack for kids’ lunchbox. It is thin, crispy, and very easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. This chilla does not need any side dish but tastes great when served with spicy dahi chutney. Do try this!
- Firstly, use fine powdered besan for this recipe. it easily mixes with water without forming any lump in the batter. moreover, it can be easily poured on top of the pan.
- Chilla batter has to be thin and watery so that it can be easily poured on top of the pan. in addition, while the batter is poured on top of the dosa pan it should be very hot so that it easily gets spread and make lacy (jalidar) stature.
- roast the chilla on low-medium flame with a generous amount of oil making it crispy and tasty. also if the chilla is soft then add some water to the batter and prepare the dosa.
- lastly, besan chilla tastes great when served hot and with spicy chutney.
Recipe card for besan pudla with spicy dahi chutney
For chilla batter
- 1 cup gram flour besan
- 2 tbsp rava
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 chopped green chilli
- Some coriander leaves
- 2 cup water or as required to thin batter
- Oil to roast chilla
For spicy dahi chutney
- ½ cup thick curd
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp green chutney
Making besan chilla
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, rava, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ajwain, hing, crushed black pepper, ginger paste, chopped green chili, and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Then add 2 cups of water gradually and make thin and pouring consistency of batter (refer to video). Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Now heat a pan on high flame and grease it with oil.
- when the pan is super hot, lower the gas flame and pour the batter on the pan.
- then keep the flame on low-medium and cook the chilla until the dosa turns crisp.
- now flip over and roast until it turns golden brown and crisp.
- enjoy the besan chilla recipe with dahi chutney.
Making dahi chutney
- In a mixing bowl, add dahi, salt, black pepper powder, red chili flakes, and 2 tbsp green chutney. Mix well.
- Dahi chutney is ready to serve with besan chilla.
- Rava gives crispiness to chilla
- Add water gradually and make a smooth batter
- Whisk the batter for 2-3 minutes so air particles incorporate into it and it becomes light and fluffy.
- The crispy and lacy (jalidar) pattern of pudla is due to moisture (water content) into the batter
- The consistency of the batter should be thin and runny.
- Heat tawa on high heat and also grease it with oil for the lacy (jalidar) pattern of chilla.
- Lower the flame while spreading chilla
- Cook chilla on low-medium flame. do not cook it on high flame.
- Chilla tastes great when it is served hot.