Bhungla batata is a popular street food of Gujarat, made with garlic flavored small size potatoes served with yellow bhungla or frymus. In this recipe, I made special garlic chutney which gives a slightly spicy and tangy taste to potatoes. It is easy to make and ideal to be served as an evening snack. So with a few basic ingredients try out tasty and street-style bhungla batata.
- Firstly, I would heavily recommend using baby potatoes for this recipe. avoid using big potatoes, but if you do not have to access them, then dice big potatoes to the size of baby potatoes.
- I made chutney with garlic and soaked dry Kashmiri red chili, which gives good flavor and the perfect color to potatoes. You can use kashmiri red chili powder instead of it.
- I serve spicy potatoes with yellow bhungla (frymus), you can use any frymus or fried rice papad instead of it.
- lastly, bhungla batata tastes great when prepared slightly spicy and creamy.
Recipe card for bhungla batata
For bhungla batata
- 500 grm or 20-22 small size boiled potatoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp spicy red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemn juice
- Some coriander leaves
For garlic paste
- 11 big size garlic cloves
- 10 soaked dry kashmiri red chili
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup water
- 4 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Spicy garlic potatoes
- Lemon juice
- Chopped onion
- Yellow bhungda frymus
- In a mixing bowl, add oil, kashmiri red chili powder, spicy red chili powder, and salt. mix well
- Then add boiled and peeled small size potatoes and coat with masala. keep it aside.
- Now in a mixture jar, add garlic cloves, soaked kashmiri red chili, salt, and water. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Then in a pan, add oil and a pinch of hing. Add grinded paste and sauté till oil separate from its sides.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. mix well.
- Then add the cooked paste to the potatoes. also, add lemon juice and coriander leaves. mix well.
- The spicy garlic flavor potato is ready.
- Also, fry bhungla on high flame.
- On a serving plate, add potatoes and top with lemon juice and chopped onion. serve it with fried frymus or bhungla.
- kashmiri red chili powder is lesser spicy and gives a good color to potatoes.
- coat masala to boiled potatoes helps to enhance its flavor.
- soaked dry kashmiri red chili gives good color and flavor to garlic chutney.
- grind chutney into a smooth and thick paste.
- cook garlic paste on low-medium flame till oil separates from its sides.
- fry bhungla on high flame.
- bhungla bataka tastes great when it is slightly spicy and tangy.