Chakli is spiral shaped, crispy and melt in mouth tea time snacks recipe. It is traditional Indian snacks recipe made during festival time. Different region of India have made different varieties of chakli. Today I share wheat flour chakli which is popular in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Chakli is deep fried snacks made with steamed wheat flour mixed, green chilli paste, sesame seeds, spices and curd. Chakli is made differently in every household like some made from rice flour, besan or maida Here is an easy video recipe recipe for chakli.
Similar recipe collection
Chakli recipe | How to make wheat flour chakli | Instant chakli recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour chapatti atta
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ cup yogurt curd
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Take 1 cup whole wheat flour (chapatti atta) in muslin cloth and fold it.
- Transfer to steamer and steam it for about 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Flour turns hard during steam cooking.
- Transfer steamed wheat flour into mixing jar and grind into powder. Do not have any lumps in it.
- In a mixing bowl, take wheat flour, 1 tsp green chilli paste, 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1 tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste and 1 tsp oil. Mix well.
- Add ¼ cup curd and 2 tbsp water kneads the semi-soft dough. If requires add more curd to bind the dough.
- Take a chakli machine with attached star shaped hole in round disc.
- Grease the chakli machine with little oil.
- Add chakli dough in machine and close the lid.
- On a grease steal plate move chakli machine in circular motion, first make straight strings of dough by twisting the handle and then form round shape chakli with your hand.
- Join ends otherwise chakli will open while frying it.
- Heat oil on medium flame. Put small portion of dough into it,if it immediately comes to the surface without changing into brown then oil is ready for frying.
- Add 3-4 chakli at a time in hot foil and deep fry them until crispy and golden brown in color.
- Fry from both the sides evenly and remove them kitchen paper towel to absorb extra oil from it.
- Let chakli cook to room temperature and ready to serve.
- Steamed wheat flour is necessary step for making crispy yet melt in mouth chakli texture.
- Yogurt (curd) makes chakli light and softer. You can also use 3 tsp malai (milk fat) instead of yogurt.
- Grease the chakli maker with oil and attachment of “star” disc inside. Roll chakli on butter paper or plastic sheet.
- Fry chakli on medium flame for crispy and golden brown texture. Do not fry it on high flame.
- Cool fried chakli at least 20 minutes before eating.
- Chakli maker is easily available on online or any utensil shop.
- You can store chakli in an airtight container for 15-20 days.