Gathiya is one of the most popular savory Gujarati snacks. Champakali or chakri gathiya is prepared from chickpea flour and regular spices. In this recipe, I share regular and methi gathiya recipes both are extremely easy to prepare with all available ingredients in your kitchen. It also has a very long shelf life and can store it in an airtight container for months
I share a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect crispy and soft champakali gathiya on the first attempt. Do try this!
The key to making the perfect champakali gathiya at home are:
- For gathiya dough, the ratio of water and oil should be equal.
- For making soft gathiya, I used gathiya soda which is easily available in Indian grocery stores. But you can also use papad khar or regular baking soda instead of it.
- For soft and crispy gathiya, add water gradually and knead soft dough.
- Fry gathiya on medium flame till it becomes crispy.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for champakali gathiya
- 250 grms or 2.5 cup gram flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ tsp gathiya soda or papad khar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp ajwain
- Water as required to make soft dough
- ½ cup chopped methi leaves for methi gathiya
- Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, add 250 grams or 2.5 cup gram flour.
- Now, in a bowl, add ½ cup water, ½ cup oil, ½ tsp gathiya soda, crushed black pepper, ajwain, and salt to taste.
- Mix with a hand whisker till it becomes a frothy white emulsion
- Add mixture into dough and mix everything to make a soft dough.
- Then in the dough, add little water at a time and make soft dough for gathiya.
- Heat oil on medium flame. Put a small portion of dough into it, if it immediately comes to the surface without changing into brown then the oil is ready for frying.
- Lower the heat on medium-low and then place champakali gathiya zara properly on kadai and grease with oil.
- Then place soft dough on the gathiya maker and rub it with your palm. Deep fry on medium heat till they turn crispy.
- For another method, place the star chakri plate in a greased sevmaker and fill it with dough. Then above hot oil move the machine into circular motion.
- Also, deep fry all gathiya on medium heat till it becomes crispy.
- For methi gathiya, in the dough, add little water at a time and make soft dough for gathiya. Then add chopped methi leaves and mix well.
- Then place dough on the gathiya maker and rub it with your palm. Deep fry on medium heat till they turn crispy.
- Methi gathiya is ready to serve.
- Do not use gathiya soda or papad khar more than ½ tsp.
- Fry gathiya on medium-low flame.
- Store gathiya into an air-tight container for 10-12 days.