Gathiya is one of the most popular savory Gujarati snacks. Champakali or chakri gathiya is prepared from chickpea flour and regular spices. In this recipe, I share regular and methi gathiya recipes both are extremely easy to prepare with all available ingredients in your kitchen. It also has a very long shelf life and can be stored in airtight containers for months.
I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect crispy and soft champakali gathiya on the first attempt. Do try this!
- For gathiya dough, the ratio of water and oil should be equal.
- For making soft gathiya, I used gathiya soda which is easily available in Indian grocery stores. But you can also use papad Khar or regular baking soda instead of it.
- For soft and crispy gathiya, add water gradually and knead soft dough.
- Fry gathiya on medium flame till it becomes crispy.
Champakali gathiya recipe | chakri gathiya recipe | how to make Gujarati gathiya | gathiya recipe
- 250 grms or 2.5 cup gram flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ tsp gathiya soda or papad khar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp ajwain
- Water as required to make soft dough
- ½ cup chopped methi leaves for methi gathiya
- Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, add 250 grams or 2.5 cup gram flour in it.
- Now, in a bowl, add ½ cup water, ½ cup oil, ½ tsp gathiya soda, crushed black pepper, ajwain, and salt to taste.
- Mix with a hand whisker till it becomes a frothy white emulsion
- Add mixture into dough and mix everything to make a soft dough.
- Then in the dough, add little water at a time and make soft dough for gathiya.
- Heat oil on medium flame. Put a small portion of dough into it, if it immediately comes to the surface without changing into brown then the oil is ready for frying.
- Lower the heat on medium-low and then place champakali gathiya zara properly on kadai and grease with oil.
- Then place soft dough on gathiya maker and rub it with your palm. Deep fry on medium heat till they turn crispy.
- For another method, place the star chakri plate in a greased sevmaker and fill it with dough. The above hot oil moves the machine into circular motion.
- Also, deep fry all gathiya on medium heat till it becomes crispy.
- For methi flavor champakali gathiya, in the dough, add little water at a time and make soft dough for gathiya. Then add chopped methi leaves and mix well.
- Then place dough on gathiya maker and rub it with your palm. Deep fry on medium heat till they turn crispy.
- Methi flavor champakali gathiya is ready to serve.
- Do not use gathiya soda or papad khar more than ½ tsp.
- Fry gathiya on medium-low flame.
- Store gathiya in an air-tight container for 10-12 days.