Crispy methi nasta or triangles made with green methi leaves, wheat flour and regular spices. It is flaky, crisp and has a similar texture to any popular Gujarati farsi puri with a longer shelf life. It is easy to make and also be a simple evening tea time snack or kids snacks recipes. I have share perfect ingredient ratio and few no fail tips helps you to make perfect methi nasta on first attempt. Do try this!
- firstly, I use fresh methi leaves and sauté it into ghee to increase shlf-life of nasta. You can use dry methi leaves or kasuri methi instead of it.
- I made methi nasta with wheat flour and for its crispy texture I used coarse wheat flour. you can use rava instead for coarse wheat flour.
- oil or ghee should be perfect incorporating to flour, so flour should have crumbly texture and hold shape between hands.
- Knead dough smooth and firm and not soft like chapati dough. i recommend adding water in batches while kneading so to keep it under control.
- Roll the puri’s should be medium thick than a normal chapati or roti’s. this would help in attaining a crisp brittle texture. also, do not forget to poke with a knife/cutter before deep frying.
- Lastly, Fry nasta in small batches in a medium-low flame. once deep fried, cool down and store them in an airtight container for a longer shelf life.
Crispy methi nasta recipe | methi triangles | masala methi chips
For roasting methi
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup chopped methi leaves
For methi nasta dough
- 2 cup wheat flour
- ½ cup coarse wheat flour lapsi no lot
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ajwain
- ¼ tsp hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp hot oil
- ¾ cup hot water or as required
- Oil for deep frying
- In a pan, add ghee and chopped methi leaves. Sauté for 2 minutes and keep it aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, coarse wheat flour, salt, cumin seeds, ajwain, hing, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, white sesame seeds and hot oil. Mix well.
- Add little hot water at a time and start kneading the dough. The dough should be smooth and tight.
- Cover the dough and rest for at least 15 minutes.
- After resting time, knead it once again to smooth out and divide dough into equal parts.
- Make a smooth ball and flatten it out between your palm.
- Then roll puri into medium size and thin disc. And using cutter or knife cut it into triangles and make a slits into centre. You can also roll bigger size roti and cut it into into medium size strips. (Refer video)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium-low heat for deep frying. Add triangle or nasta into hot oil and fry it on medium flame till become golden brown and crispy from both the sides.
- Remove them on wire rack and fry all triangle into same way.
- Cool down methi nasta/triangle completely, then store them in an airtight container.
- roasting methi into ghee makes it more flavorful and absorbs moisture in it.
- you can use fine rava instead of coarse wheat flour.
- add hot oil into dough helps to make crispy nasta.
- knead smooth and tight dough for nasta.
- make a cut into centre of triangle so it will never puffs up while frying.
- fry nasta on medium flame till it become crispy and golden brown from both the sides.