Dudhi jowar vada or dhebra is a deep-fried snack made jowar flour, grated dudhi (lauki), and regular spices. It is popular Gujarati farsan carry-on food for trips & picnics just like Thepla as it does not get spoiled for 2-3 days. You can also cook it like Paratha on tawa with little oil, and avoid the deep frying process. Do try this Crispy dhebra (vada/patties) with spicy and sweet tomato garlic chutney and masala chai.
I have shared a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips that helps you to make perfect crispy vada on the first attempt.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Dudhi jowar vada recipe | dudhi jowar na dhekra | Dudhi Na Dhebra Recipe
For dudhi jowar dhebra
- 2 cup jowar flour
- 2 cup grated bottle gourd dudhi/lauki
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp ajwain
- 1 tbsp gud
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste
- 4 tbsp oil
- Pinch of baking soda
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Some white sesame seeds
For tomato garlic chutney
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 18-20 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilli
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
Making dudhi jowar vada
- In a bowl, add jowar flour, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ajwain, gud, white sesame seeds, and garam masala. mix well.
- Make a well in the center, then add grated dudhi, ginger paste, green chilli paste and coriander leaves. mix well
- Now add baking soda and hot oil. Mix well.
- Knead vada dough with buttermilk.
- wet your hands with some water and flatten the balls with your palm to make small puris.
- Then apply some water on vada surface and stick some white sesame seeds on it.
- Put the flattened vada on greased the plate to avoid sticking to the surface.
- deep fry them on medium/low flame till golden brown in color.
- It takes about 7-8 minutes for the batch to cook. Do not fry on high flame as it will change color quickly but will be raw inside.
- Once fried, remove it on a wire rack to get rid of excess oil.
- Dudhi Jowar vada (Dhebra) is ready to be served.
Making tomato garlic chutney
- In a mixture jar, add chopped tomatoes, garlic and green chilli. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add grinded paste and mix well.
- Now add coriander powder, black pepper powder, salt, sugar, red chilli powder and cumin powder it. mix well.
- Cover and cook chutney till oil separates from its sides.
- Cool down the chutney completely.
- Serve or store it in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- The proportion of jowar flour and grated lauki should be the same.
- knead vada dough with buttermilk helps to make soft vada.
- flip vada between both palms.
- apply some water on vada surface.
- fry vada on medium heat.