Easy and simple crispy deep-fried snack recipe made with wheat, moongdal, and a blend of spices for a lip-smacking taste. Unlike the maida or traditional farsi puri recipe, it is more crisp and thin in size but can be consumed for the same purpose. This crispy puri is typically used as an evening munching snack with a cup of tea but can also be used to make chaat recipes. Do try this!
The key to making crispy moongdal farsi puri at home are
- Soak moong dal into hot water for 1-2 hrs or till it becomes soft.
- Oil or ghee should be perfect for incorporating into flour, so flour should have a crumbly texture and hold shape between hands.
- Knead puri dough is firm and not soft like chapati dough. I recommend adding water in batches while kneading to keep it under control. Also after resting time dough will become slightly soft.
- Roll the puri’s should be slightly thinner than a normal chapati or roti’s. this would help in attaining a crisp brittle texture.
- Fry puri in small batches on a medium flame. Once deep fried, store them in an airtight container for longer shelf life.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Farsi puri | Wheat moongdal farsi puri | atta moongdal papdi | atta papdi recipe
- 2 cup wheat flour
- ¼ cup moong dal
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- 5 tbsp oil
- ½ cup water or as required
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak moong dal into slightly hot water for 1-2 hrs or till it becomes soft.
- Drain water from the soaked moong dal and keep it aside.
- Then, put green chilli, ginger, curry, and coriander leaves in a mixture jar. grind it into a coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, cumin seeds, crushed black pepper, sesame seeds, ajwain, a pinch of hing, salt, grinded masala, and oil.
- Mix well and flour mixture together using fingertips till the mixture becomes crumbly breadcrumbs-like.
- Add little water at a time and start kneading the dough. The dough should be stiff and hard.
- Cover the dough and rest for at least 15 minutes.
- After resting, knead it once again to smooth out and divide the dough into equal parts.
- Make a smooth ball and flatten it out between your palm.
- take a plastic ban and grease with oil. place a small ball-sized dough, press, and flatten using a cup. flatten as thin as possible.
- drop the puri into hot oil keeping the flame on medium.
- fry both sides on medium flame until the puri turns golden and crisp.
- drain off the puri onto a wire rack to remove excess oil.
- store in an airtight container and enjoy wheat moongdal papadi for upto 3 weeks.
- crushed masala gives a good flavor to farsi puri.
- flour should have a crumbly texture and hold shape between hands.
- knead the tight and smooth dough for farsi puri.
- roll thin and medium size puri.
- fry poories on medium flame.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes