It is an easy and less oil breakfast recipe made with tiny pebbles of rice flour balls. these rice balls are steamed till it becomes soft. it is healthy and prepared with minimal ingredients. It is generally served with a choice of spicy red chutney or coconut chutney. In this recipe, I share 2 types of idli one are original goli idli with tadka and another is the spicy version which is not an authentic goli idli version. So with minimal ingredients do try this!
The key to making soft and tasty goli idli at home are:
- Firstly, I grind raw rice and make a fine powder of it but you can use store-bought rice flour or idli rava, Bombay rava to make this idli.
- Use 1:2 ratios of rice flour and water to cook it, if you add less water then rice dough will be properly cooked.
- Knead the rice dough really well, to get super-soft idli.
- These idlis are best steamed in a large kadai also balls may not overlap each other while steaming.
- Make sure to steam the idli on medium flame else the idli will turn hard.
- Lastly, goli idli tastes great when bite-sized balls are prepared and served with spicy red chutney.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for masala rice balls | goli idli
- 1 cup raw rice
- 2 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- Pinch of hing
- Few curry leaves
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1 inch chopped ginger
For masala tempering
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp maggi masala
- In a mixture jar, add 1 cup raw rice and grind it into fine powder.
- Now, in a pan add 2 cups water, salt, and oil. Bring it to boil.
- Then add rice flour gradually and mix well until the water is absorbed well.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the flour turn soft and moist.
- Now transfer the flour into a mixing bowl and knead to a smooth and soft dough.
- Now take a very small-sized ball and roll it into round shape.
- Then grease a plate with oil and place all the balls in it.
- in a kadai, add 2 cups water and place a plate of balls into the steamer, and steam for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Then cool down the steamed ball slightly.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, chana dal, urad dal, and hing. Sauté for a minute.
- Now add curry leaves, chopped green chilli, and chopped ginger pieces. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add steamed idli and mix gently without breaking the idli.
- cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the flavors are absorbed.
- Take out some idli into a bowl, then add red chili powder and maggi masala in it. mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy goli idli with spicy chutney.
- the quantity of water should be double that of rice flour.
- knead cooked rice dough for 4-5 minutes till it becomes soft and smooth.
- make small and round shape idli balls.
- Do not over steam idli otherwise it will become hard.