Gor keri is a traditional pickle from Gujarati. It is sweet mango pickle made with raw mango, jaggery, oil and flavored with pickle masala. This pickle made with the process of sundried and shelf life is more than a year. It goes well along with theplas, bhakaris, and khakhras.
Gujarati Gor Keri Recipe | gud keri nu athanu| Sweet And Spicy Raw Mango Pickle
- 1 kg or 2 raw mangoes
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 kg jaggery
For pickle masala
- 60 g or ½ cup coriander seeds
- 50 g or ½ cup split mustard seeds
- 30 g or ¼ cup split fenugreek seeds
- 20 g or 3 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp or 12 cloves
- 1 tsp or 12 black pepper
- 1 tsp asafetida powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 80 ml or ½ cup oil
- 3 tsp salt
- ¼ cup kashmiri red chili powder
- Wash the mangoes and peel the skin of the mangoes and then cut them into medium-sized pieces.
- Combine the mango pieces with salt and turmeric powder and leave aside overnight or 10 hours.
- After a day, mango pieces released some water and completely marinated.
- Then sieve water from mango pieces and dry them on muslin cloth for 4-5 hours or till it becomes completely dry.
- For pickle masala, add coriander seeds, split mustard seeds, split fenugreek seed, fennel seeds, cloves, black pepper and asafetida in the center.
- Now heat oil and allow it to cool for some time. Then add into the masala and cover masala with another plate.
- Then add turmeric powder and mix well. When the mixture is completely cool down add salt and red chili powder. Mix well. Pickle masala is ready.
- In a large vessel, add grated jaggery, pickle masala, and mango pieces. Mix well
- Wrap the vessel with a muslin cloth and tie it.
- Keep the covered vessel on the kitchen platform for about 4-6 days or until the jaggery melts and reaches a double string consistency.
- Store the gor keri pickle in clean sterilized glass jars and pickle will last up to a year. Serve with theplas, bhakris and khakras.
- Combine mango pieces with turmeric powder and salt so mango released its water.
- Use grated jaggery so it can be easily melted down.
- Always use a glass bottle to store pickles for a year.