Tam tam is one of the popular savory and crunchy Gujarati snacks. It is a deep-fried snack prepared from besan, urad dal flour, and some basic spices. Tam tam is a combination of spicy, sweet, and sour tastes, which is generally served as a tea-time snack. It also has a very long shelf life and can be stored it in an airtight container for months.
I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few tam tam making technique helps you to make perfect chatpata tamtam on the first attempt
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Gujarati tamtam recipe | how to make tam tam | Dry snacks tamtam recipe
- 200 gms or 2 cup besan
- 50 gms or ½ cup urad daal flour
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 3 tbsp powder sugar
- ½ tsp citric acid + water
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp baking soda +water
- Oil to fry
- Sieve besan and urad dal flour.
- Make a well in the center, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, powdered sugar, citric acid +water, and oil. Mix well.
- Mix all masala with flour.
- Now adding water binds the dough like paratha dough. The dough will be sticky so you can grease your hands.
- Cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes.
- Now dissolve 1/4 tsp cooking soda with 1 tsp water and add to the bound dough.
- Add little water in the dough and knead the dough till it slightly changes its color and becomes soft.
- Heat oil in a pan. Now using a star mesh place it over the hot oil, and rub the dough over it.
- Remove the mesh and fry the Tum Tum on low-medium flame. Remember the flame has to be low while you are using the mesh.
- In case you do not have the big mesh, use the sev press machine with a Star mesh or champakali gathiya mesh or plastic bag and proceed in a similar manner.
- Serve and store tam tam in an airtight container.
- use powdered sugar and diluted citric acid, so both will easily mix with the dough.
- dilute baking soda with water and then add to the dough.
- add water little by little and knead the dough till it changes its color and becomes soft.
- with a grease palm, press the dough on mesh or zara plate.
- fry tam tam on low-medium flame.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes