Hara bhara kabab is one of the most popular veg kabab made with potatoes, green peas, spinach, and regular spices. It is prepared with green and leafy vegetables which gives a green color to this kebab recipe and also the name. They are crispy from the outside while melting in your mouth from the inside. It is a great snack for any party and goes well with chai.
I will share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make the perfect restaurant-style hara bhara kabab on the first attempt.
Hara bhara kabab recipe | how to make hara bhara kabab | veg kabab recipe
For hara bhara kabab
- 2 bunch or 120 grm spinach palak leaves
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp jeera
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp green chilli
- 2 medium size chopped capsicum
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 4-5 or 300 g boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp roasted besan
- 1/4 + ¼ bread crumbs
- 5-6 cashews
- Chaat masala
For bread crumbs
- 4-5 crushed white part of bread
- In a pan, boil some water and add spinach leaves. cook it for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, the leaves will be all shriveled up. This is called blanching the spinach. Remove from pan and add into cold water. Set aside.
- Now in a pan, add 2 tbsp ghee, cumin seeds, chopped ginger and green chili and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add green peas (I kept frozen peas in warm water for 2-3 minutes before adding them to the pan), chopped capsicum and blanched spinach leaves.
- Cook the mixture till there's no or very little moisture left in it. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit meanwhile in a pan, add the crushed white part of the bread and dry roast till it becomes crispy. Homemade bread crumbs are ready
- Then transfer it to a blender. Add mint and coriander leaves to it and grind to a paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add boiled and mashed potatoes, black salt, cumin powder, garam masala, amchur powder and salt.
- Now add roasted besan and bread crumbs to the mixture. Mix everything together till it forms a nice dough.
- Take a little dough the size of a lemon in your hand and form a round pattie. Press half cashew on it.
- Now coat all kabab with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, place the patties on the pan. fry till golden brown from both sides.
- Serve hot with coriander chutney and salad.
- ghee gives a nice flavor to kabab mixture.
- sauté boiled palak with vegetable mixture, so its moisture will absorb.
- dry roasted crushed bread on medium flame to make bread crumbs.
- roasted gram flour (besan) and bread crumbs give perfect binding to kabab.
- fry kabab on medium flame.