Live dhokla is an all-time favorite farsan (snacks) from gujarati cuisine. Typically dhokla recipe is prepared from fermented batter, but this recipe is an alternative and prepared from moong dal-rice powder and semolina. I share instant dhokla premix recipes, which can be prepared and store in an air-tight container. This dhokla does not need fermentation like the regular dhokla so it can be prepared without any extra pre-preparation. It tastes great with garlic chutney. Do try this!
The key to making instant moongdal live dhokla at home are:
- In dhokla premix, use small grain rice varieties like khichdiya or jeerasar rice. Also, the quantity of rice should be half that dal.
- Use semolina or coarse rava for instant dhokla mix and the proportion of semolina should be equal to dal and rice powder.
- Store dhokla premix or flour into an air-tight container for 6 months or more into the refrigerator.
- Use sour buttermilk or curd to make dhokla batter, if you do not have it then add some lemon juice into dhokla batter.
- Dhokla batter should be slightly thick and pouring consistency.
- Steam dhokla 12-15 min on high-medium flame. Do not oversteam dhokla otherwise, it will become hard.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for instant moongdal dhokla
For moongdal dhokla premix
- ½ cup yellow moong dal
- ¼ cup small grain rice
- 1 cup semolina coarse rava
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp sugar
For instant moongdal dhokla
- 2 cup dhokla mix
- 1.5 cup sour buttermilk or as required
- 2 tbsp water or as required
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilli paste
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Some red chilli powder
For dhokla tempering
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 5-6 curry leaves
Making moongdal dhokla premix
- In a pan, add dal and rice and roast for 2 minutes. Cool down mixture and add grind it into coarse powder.
- Now add mixture into container, also add semolina, salt, turmeric powder, sugar and hing. Mix well.
- Dhokla premix is ready. Store it into airtight container upto 6 month or more into refrigerator.
Making instant moongdal dhokla
- In a mixing bowl, add dhokla flour. Add buttermilk gradually and make thick and pouring consistency of batter.
- Whisk batter with hand for 3-4 minutes and rest batter for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add water into pan. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Then add green chilli paste, ginger paste, coriander leaves and oil. Mix well.
- Add eno fruit salt & mix in one direction.
- Grease dhokla plate with oil & pour the mixture in plate.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder over the mixture.
- Steam in idli-dhokla steamer or kadai for 12-15 min on high-medium flame.
- Once done take out plate from steamer & allow it to cool for 5-10 min.
- Now heat oil into tadka pan, add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, chopped green chilli and curry leaves. Mix well and add tadka on dhokla.
- Cut into desired shape. Serve with chutney.
- grind rice and dal mixture into a coarse powder.
- use sour buttermilk or curd while making dhokla batter.
- rest batter for 25-30 minutes, so rava soaked properly.
- preheat steamer for 5 minutes before steaming dhokla.
- oil gives shine and softness to dhokla.
- steam dhokla 12-15 min on high-medium flame.