White live dhokla is one of the popular farsan (snacks) from gujarati cuisine. Typically dhokla recipe is prepared from fermented batter, but this recipe is an alternative and prepared from rice-dal powder and semolina. I also share instant dhokla premix recipes, which can be prepared and store in an air-tight container. This dhokla does not need fermentation like the regular dhokla. So with a little planning, breakfast or dinner can be made quickly and serve your favorite chutney. Do try this!
The key to making instant white dhokla at home are:
- In dhokla premix, use small grain rice varieties like khichdiya or jeerasar rice. Also, the quantity of dal should be half that rice.
- Use semolina or coarse rava for instant dhokla mix and the proportion of semolina should be equal to dal and rice powder.
- Store dhokla premix or flour into an air-tight container for 6 months or more into the refrigerator.
- Dhokla batter should be slightly thick and pouring consistency.
- Steam dhokla 12-15 min on high-medium flame. Do not oversteam dhokla otherwise, it will become hard.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for instant white dhokla
For white dhokla premix
- ½ cup small grain rice
- ¼ cup urad dal
- ¾ cup semolina coarse rava
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp sugar
For instant white dhokla
- 2 cup dhokla mix
- 1 cup sour yogurt
- ½ cup water or as required
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilli paste
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ENO fruit salt
- Some red chilli powder
- Some black pepper powder
For dhokla tempering
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Some coriander leaves
Making dhokla premix
- In a pan, add rice and dal and roast for 2 minutes. Cooldown mixture and add grind it into a coarse powder.
- Now add the mixture into a container, also add semolina, salt, sugar, and hing. Mix well.
- Dhokla premix is ready. Store it in airtight container up to 6 month or more into the refrigerator.
Making instant white dhokla
- In a mixing bowl, add dhokla flour, curd, and water. Mix well and make a smooth and flowing batter.
- Whisk batter with hand for 3-4 minutes and rest batter for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add water into the pan. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Then add green chilli paste, ginger paste, coriander leaves, and oil. Mix well.
- Add eno fruit salt & mix in one direction.
- Grease dhokla plate with oil & pour the mixture into plate.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder and black pepper powder over the mixture.
- Steam in idli-dhokla steamer or kadai for 12-15 min on med-high flame.
- Once done take out plate from steamer & allow it to cool for 5-10 min.
- Now heat oil into tadka pan, add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, chopped green chilli, and curry leaves. mix well and add tadka on dhokla.
- Cut into the desired shape. Serve with chutney.
- grind rice and dal mixture into a coarse powder.
- use sour curd while making dhokla batter.
- rest batter for 25-30 minutes, so rava soaked properly.
- preheat steamer for 5 minutes before steaming dhokla.
- oil gives shine and softness to dhokla.
- steam dhokla 12-15 min on high-medium flame.