Kala chana chaat is a very popular street food in Mumbai. It is a tasty chatpata snack made from black chana, spices, chopped veggies and chaat chutneys. These chaat recipes are ideal to be served as a party starter or simple as an evening snack with a cup of tea or coffee. So with a few basic ingredients try out tasty and street style kala chana chaat recipe.
Kala chana chaat recipe | how to make street style chana chaat | easy chana masala chaat
- ½ cup soaked kala chana
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup water to pressure cook chana
- 1 medium size potatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli slits
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp amchur powder
- ½ tsp black salt
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped potatoes
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 2 tbsp masala sing
- 6-8 mint leaves
- 2 tsp green coriander chutney
- 2 tsp tamarind chutney
- Some coriander leaves
- In a pressure cooker take ½ cup soaked kala chana, salt, water and 1 medium-sized potato. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistle or until chana is cooked well.
- Drain off the water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add oil, a pinch of hing, cumin seeds and green chilli slits. Sauté for a minute.
- Now in a bowl, add water, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, amchur powder, and black salt. Mix well and add masala paste into the oil.
- Sauté masala paste on low flame till it separates oil.
- Then add boiled chana and cook till masala absorbs into chana.
- Transfer the spiced kala chana to a bowl. cool down completely.
- Add chopped onion, tomatoes, potatoes, green chilli, mint leaves, masala sing, green chutney, tamarind chutney and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Chatpati chana chaat is ready to serve.
- Addition of salt while pressure cooks the chana.
- masala paste gives a good flavor to chana.
- Use lemon juice and a pinch of sugar instead of green chutney and tamarind chutney.