Khattu mithu limbu nu athanu or lemon pickle is an easy pickle served with Gujarati thepla gathiya or leftover rotis. It is marinated lemon pieces are combined with sugar and spices. Lemon skin is slightly bitter in taste so I marinated lemon pieces with salt and turmeric powder to remove the bitterness of lemon skin and make it soft for pickle. Once lemon pieces are marinated then with this method you can make lemon pickle in few hours. It also has a very long shelf life and can store it in an airtight container for 1-2 years.
I share a perfect ingredient ratio A few no-fail tips help you make the perfect lemon pickle on the first attempt. Do try this!
The key to making perfect lemon pickle at home are:
- Choose juicy, yellow, and thin skin lemons for pickle.
- Marinate lemon pieces with turmeric powder and salt helps to decrease the bitterness of lemon skin and also makes it soft.
- When marinated lemon slices change their color and easily tare with a hand means it is ready for pickle.
- The proportion of sugar is 50 grams more than the weight of lemon pieces or can take an equal amount of sugar and lemon pieces.
- Store lemon pickle into an airtight glass jar.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for lemon pickle
- 500 g lemon pieces
- 550 g or 2.5 cup sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- Wash and cut lemon into 8 small size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well
- Transfer lemon pieces into the glass bottle and keep it for 5 days. Stir bottle occasionally.
- After 1 day add 2 lemon juices into pieces.
- After 5 days, when lemon pieces are marinated and skin changes its color and become soft, then lemon pieces ready for pickle
- Then add sugar and stir till 50-70% sugar -dissolves.
- Put the pan on medium-low heat and stir continuously. After 5-10 minutes, you will notice that mango shred become transparent and sugar syrup has one string consistency and turns off the stove.
- Let the mixture cool completely.
- Then add roasted cumin seeds powder and red chili in it. Mix well.
- Store lemon pickle into a clean and dry glass jar.
- cook mixture on low flame.
- stir the mixture continuously on medium-low flame. Do not cook the mixture on a high flame.
- do not overcook the mixture otherwise when the mixture cools down sugar crystals will form.
- cook mixture till sugar dissolve and sugar syrup reaches 1 string consistency.
- add red chili powder when the mixture is completely cool down.