Kumbhaniya bhajiya is a famous kathiyawadi style crispy bhajiya made with green garlic, chilies, coriander leaves, and gram flour. This crispy bhajiya is famous in Saurashtra district in Gujarat. I also share sweet and sour chutney recipes to serve with bhajiya. It is all time favorite evening snack and it goes great during the cold winters with a cup of hot tea! So with a few basic ingredients try out spicy and tasty kumbhaniya bhajiya.
- Firstly, I made bhajiya with green garlic, chili, ginger, and coriander leaves. You can also add fenugreek (methi) leaves and spinach (palak) leaves to make it more healthier.
- Bhajiya batter should be medium thick consistancy. So add less water into the batter.
- Kambhaniya bhajiya is made slightly in different ways, for that take batter into your wet finger, press it with your thumb, and add it to the hot oil.
- Lastly, Fry bhajiya on medium flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown from the outside.
Kumbhaniya bhajiya | Kathiyawadi bhajiya |bhajiya with chutney
For kumbhaniya bhajiya
- 100 grm or 1 cup chopped green garlic
- 100 grm or 1 cup chopped green chilli
- 2 cup coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup gram flour besan
- ¼ cup + 2tbsp water or as required
- Oil for deep frying
For khatti meethi (sweet and sour) chutney
- ¼ cup tamarind
- ¼ cup dates
- ¼ cup jaggery
- 1.5 cup hot water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Salt to taste
Making kumbhaniya bhajiya
- In a bowl add chopped green garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves, grated ginger, salt and lemon juice. Mix well
- Cover and rest mixture of 5 minutes, so mixtures release some water.
- Now add gram flour gradually and mix everything. Flour is properly coat to mixture.
- Add little water and make a medium thick batter.
- Heat oil in pan and add take some batter into wet finger.
- Now push batter with thumb and add bhajiya into hot oil. Make it all in same way.
- Then lower the flame to medium and fry bhajiya till it become golden brown.
- Serve bhajiya with onion slice, lemon juice and khatti meethi chutney.
Making khatti meethi chutney
- In a bowl, add date and tamarind pulp, jaggery and hot water. mix well and rest mixture for 30 minutes.
- Then squeeze pulp from soaked date and tamarind.
- Sieve mixture in a bowl.
- Then add cumin seeds powder, fennel seeds powder, coriander powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger powder and salt. Mix well
- Sweet and sour chutney is ready.
- Do not add more flour to bhajiya mixture.
- The consistency of bhajiya batter should be medium.
- take batter into your finger and with the help of your thumb add little bhajiya batter into the hot oil.
- fry bhajiya on medium and serve hot.