Kumbhaniya bhajiya is a famous kathiyawadi style crispy bhajiya made with green garlic, chilies, coriander leaves, and gram flour. This crispy bhajiya is famous in the Saurashtra district in Gujarat. I also share sweet and sour chutney recipes to serve with bhajiya. It is my all-time favorite evening snack and it goes great during the cold winters with a cup of hot tea! So with a few basic ingredients try out spicy and tasty kumbhaniya bhajiya.
The key to making tasty kumbhaniya bhajiya at home are:
- Firstly, I made bhajiya with green garlic, chili, ginger, and coriander leaves. You can also add fenugreek (methi) leaves and spinach (palak) leaves to make them healthier.
- Bhajiya batter should be a medium-thick consistency. So add less water into the batter.
- Kambhaniya bhajiya is made slightly in different ways, for that take batter into your wet finger, press it with your thumb, and add into the hot oil.
- Lastly, Fry bhajiya on medium flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown from outside.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for kumbhaniya bhajiya
For kumbhaniya bhajiya
- 100 grm or 1 cup chopped green garlic
- 100 grm or 1 cup chopped green chilli
- 2 cup coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup gram flour besan
- ¼ cup + 2tbsp water or as required
- Oil for deep frying
For khatti meethi (sweet and sour) chutney
- ¼ cup tamarind
- ¼ cup dates
- ¼ cup jaggery
- 1.5 cup hot water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Salt to taste
Making kumbhaniya bhajiya
- In a bowl add chopped green garlic, green chili, coriander leaves, grated ginger, salt, and lemon juice. Mix well
- Cover and rest mixture of 5 minutes, so mixtures release some water.
- Now add gram flour gradually and mix everything. Flour is properly coated to mixture.
- Add little water and make a medium-thick batter.
- Heat oil in a pan and add take some batter into the wet finger.
- Now push batter with thumb and add bhajiya into the hot oil. Make it all in the same way.
- Then lower the flame to medium and fry bhajiya till it becomes golden brown.
- Serve bhajiya with an onion slice, lemon juice, and khatti meethi chutney.
Making khatti meethi chutney
- In a bowl, add date and tamarind pulp, jaggery, and hot water. mix well and rest the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Then squeeze pulp from soaked date and tamarind.
- Sieve mixture in a bowl.
- Then add cumin seeds powder, fennel seeds powder, coriander powder, kashmiri red chili powder, ginger powder, and salt. Mix well
- Sweet and sour chutney is ready.
- Do not add more flour into the bhajiya mixture.
- The consistency of bhajiya batter should be medium.
- take batter into your finger and with the help of thumb add little bhajiya batter into the hot oil.
- fry bhajiya on medium