Lapsi is a traditional Gujarati sweet recipe made from coarse wheat flour and jaggery. Traditionally lapsi are made with Velan (rolling pin), which is a time-consuming process. So in this recipe, I have used a pressure cooker to cook lapsi in a quicker way. It is effortless to make and only requires 2 main ingredients. hence it is generally made during the festival season and served at the end of the meal. I will share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make tasty lapsi on the first attempt. Do try this!
- firstly, use coarse wheat flour for making lapsi, also roast coarse wheat flour to achieve the perfect taste and texture of lapsi.
- Secondly, I used a pressure cooker to cook the lapsi to hasten the cooking process. it also makes it a one-pot meal, but if you do not have a pressure cooker, you can steam it in Kadai.
- lastly, lapsi tastes great when served with ghee and powdered sugar.
Lapsi recipe | Gujarati lapsi in pressure cooker | Gujarati lapsi | kansar recipe
- cup or 250 grm coarse wheat flour - lapsi flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup or 150 grm jaggery
- ¼ cup or 50 grm oil
- 1 tbsp oil + 1 tsp ghee - for jaggery water
- Serve with powder sugar and hot ghee
- In a mixing bowl, add coarse wheat flour and oil. Rub oil properly into flour.
- Now in a pressure cooker, add flour and roast it on medium flame till it slightly changes and becomes aromatic. Take out roasted flour into a bowl and keep it aside.
- Now in a pan, add water, jaggery, 1 tbsp oil, and 1 tsp ghee. Cook till the jaggery is completely melted and the jaggery water quantity should be 1 cup. boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and cool down the jaggery water for 2-3 minutes.
- sieve and add jaggery water into the flour and mix well.
- In a pressure cooker, add some water and place the lapsi bowl on a wire rack. Cover with a dish and close the pressure cooker.
- Then pressure cook lapsi on 1 whistle on high flame and 5 whistles on medium flame.
- Switch off the gas and release the pressure cooker temperature naturally.
- Remove the dish and check the cooked lapsi with a knife. If the knife comes out clean then lapsi is cooked correctly.
- Take out lapsi bowl from cooked and cool down slightly.
- then rub lapsi between your hand. Lapsi grain easily separates.
- Add hot ghee and powdered sugar into lapsi and mix well.
- Serve lapsi with ghee.
- use coarse wheat flour for lapsi.
- roasting of wheat flour enhances the taste and gives the perfect texture to lapsi.
- The quantity of water and jaggery should be half than lapsi flour.
- boil jaggery water till it reduces its amount to 1 cup or half of lapsi flour.
- if the knife comes out clean then lapsi flour is cooked correctly.
- rub cooked lapsi mixture with your hand, so the granules separate easily.
- Lapsi tastes great when it is served with hot ghee and powder sugar