Lilo chevdo is most popular farsan in vadodara, city of Gujarat. It is potato-based namekeen flavored with special wet tempering. The taste of chevda is slightly sweet and liked by all age groups. I share a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips that help you to make lilo chevdo on the first attempt. Chevdo is wet so its shelf life is quite less, but of course, the taste is absolutely amazing.
Lilo Chevdo recipe | Vadodara Special lilo chevdo recipe | Gujarati nasta
For lilo chevda
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- Soaked and dried chana dal
- ¼ cup cashew
- ¼ cup raisin
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 6-7 curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp sugar
For soaking dal
- ½ cup chana dal
- ¾ cup water
- Pinch of baking soda
- In a bowl, soak chana dal with hot water and a pinch of baking soda for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water from dal and spread them on a kitchen towel or cloth.
- Grate the potatoes with a wafer slicer or the thicker side of the grater.
- Wash 3-4 times, so that all starch is removed.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and spread them on a thick towel.
- All you need to do is air dry these grated potatoes and soaked dal.
- Once dry deep fry the potatoes, while they are frying add salt to 1 tbsp water, dissolve and add it to the oil.
- By adding salt solution the potatoes will naturally become salted.
- Remove the crisp potatoes on a kitchen towel.
- Then fry dal with the help of a sieve and added with potatoes.
- Lastly, fry cashews and raisins and added with potatoes.
- Heat a tbsp of oil.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves, and finally sesame seeds, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Then add ¼ cup water and sugar. Mix well and cook till sugar reaches one-string consistency.
- Switch off the flame and add this syrup to chevda mixture.
- Mix well so that the mixture is well coated with syrup.
- Lilo Chevdo is ready to serve. This can be stored for a maximum of up to a week and Refrigerate for longer storage.
- Choose a bigger size and thick potatoes for chivda.
- Cook sugar in water till it gets one-string consistency.
- Turmeric powder with sugar syrup gives a nice color to chivda.
- store chivda in the refrigerator for a longer time.