Mag na vada or moong vada is crispy and tasty snack made with grounded and soaked green moong beans and chana dal mixed with spices and herbs. It is slightly different than regular vada, Fluffy moong pakoda are pressed and again fry it to make crispy vada. They are extremely tasty and mouth melting only when just taken out from hot oil. I also share green chutney recipe, which goes great with vada. Do try this!
- Firstly, I used moong beans and chana dal for vada. You can use green moong dal instead of moong beans.
- Grind soaked dal into thick and coarse mixture; do not grind into smooth paste.
- Stir grinded batter into one direction so air particles incorporates in the batter and batter become lightly and fluffy.
- Press the vada ball, when they are slightly hot and immediately fry it again on high flame for making crispy vada.
- Lastly, moong vada taste great when it is slightly spicy and serve hot.
Mag na vada | crispy moong vada | how to make moong vada
For moong vada
- ½ cup green moong beans
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 1 inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- Oil for deep frying
For coriander chutney
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves
- 2 green chilli
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- ¼ tsp roasted cumin powder
- ¼ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp curd
- 3-4 tbsp water to grind chutney
Making moong vada
- Wash and soak green moong and chana dal for 5-6 hours in slightly hot water.
- Meanwhile, in a pan add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper. Roast for 2 minutes and crushed it into coarse powder.
- Then remove soaked moong beans and dal water and take out 3-4 tbsp dal into another bowl.
- Now, add them into mixer jar with ginger and garlic cloves. Add 2-3 tbsp water and grind it into coarse paste.
- Take out grinded mixer into bowl and stir continuously in one direction. After few minutes mixer is light, fluffy and changes its color.
- Then add salt, grinded masala, chopped green chilli, red chilli powder, ajwain, hing, amchur, garam masala, chopped onion and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Now add baking soda and some hot oil. Mix well into batter.
- Heat oil in a pan, greases hands with water, pinch balls sized hand and make a round shape.
- Deep fry in hot oil keeping the flame on medium flame.
- Stir occasionally, and fry on medium flame until the vada ball turns slightly golden brown in colour.
- Drain off balls from hot oil.
- When it is hot, press slightly and add into hot oil to fry it again.
- Fry vada on medium-hing flame till it become crispy and golden brown from outside.
- Serve crispy moong vada with chutney or tomato ketchup
Making coriander chutney
- In a mixture jar, add coriander leaves, green chilli, ginger, roasted chana dal, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, black pepper powder, salt, lemon juice, sugar and curd.
- Add some water and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Green chutney is ready. Serve it with vada.
- add slightly hot water to decrease the soaking time of moong and dal.
- stir the batter in one direction so air particles incorporate into the batter and the batter changes into a slightly light color and become fluffy.
- if your batter is slightly loose, then add some gram flour to make it perfect.
- fry vada ball on medium flame. when the ball is hot, press immediately to make vada and fry it on high flame till it becomes crispy.