Masala pav is the most popular street food in Mumbai. It is prepared with bread and spicy masala. This spicy masala is made with chopped veggies and flavored with pav bhaji masala. The pav is roasted in butter filled with spicy masala and finally topped with onion and coriander leaves. It is a quick recipe and one enjoys it as a starter or snack with a cup of tea.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
masala pav recipe | mumbai street style masala pav recipe
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 chopped garlic cloves
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- 1 chopped green chilli
- ½ cup or 1 medium size chopped onion
- 1 cup or 2 medium size chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum
- 2 tsp pavbhaji masala
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Chopped coriander leaves
For the buns
- ½ tsp butter
- Pinch of pavbhaji masala
- 2 pav bunds
- Chopped onion
- Coriander leaves
- Firstly, melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Once the butter melts, add cumin seeds and crackle it.
- Then add chopped garlic, ginger and green chilli together. Sauté till the raw smell of garlic goes away and it starts to change its color.
- Now add chopped onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add salt and cook tomatoes till it becomes soft and mushy.
- Also, add chopped capsicum and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add pav bhaji masala, kashmiri red chilli powder, and kasuri methi. Cook all spices on low flame.
- Add ¼ cup water to the masala and with the masher mash masala slightly.
- Cook masala till oil separates from the sides of the masala.
- Then add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well. Masala for masala pav is ready.
- Now in the same pan, add ½ tsp butter and a pinch of pav bhaji masala. Make a slit in buns and roast them in butter.
- Flip the bun and filled them with masala.
- Lastly, sprinkle some chopped onion and coriander leaves on the masala pav. Serve hot.
- You can use kadai instead of tawa.
- You can use oil instead of butter.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes