Meethi sevai and sevai custard are popular classic Indian desserts. Meethi sevai or sweet vermicelli prepared with vermicelli, ghee and sugar with dry fruit topping. While Semiya custard is prepared with vermicelli and milk. The two recipes are easy and simple to make without any complex ingredients required. Both are tasty dessert recipes that can be easily shared with friends and family for any type of occasion and celebration.
I also share a few basic things which should be kept in mind while making sweet sevai or sevai custard at home and it will always turn out perfect.
Meethi sevai recipe | semiya custard recipe | sweet vermicelli | vermicelli fruit custard
For roasting vermicelli (sevai) and dry fruits
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1.5 cup vermicelli / sevai
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachio
For meethi sevai
- 1 cup roasted vermicelli/ sevai
- 1.5 cup water
- 2 cardamom pods
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp roasted dry fruits
For sevai fruit custard
- ½ cup roasted vermicelli / sevai
- 1 liter milk
- ¼ tsp soaked kesar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp custard powder + ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup chopped apples
- ¼ cup chopped grapes
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup chopped banana
- tbsp roasted dry fruits
Roast sevai and dry fruits
- Heat ghee in a pan, add chopped cashew, chopped almond and chopped pistachio. Roast for a minute and keep it aside.
- Then add vermicelli (sevai) and roast till it is slightly golden brown. Keep it aside.
Making meethi sevai
- In a pan, add 1.5 cup water and cardamom pods.
- once the water comes to a boil, add roasted semiya and stir well.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes or till the semiya absorbs all the water.
- once the semiya gets cooked completely, add ¾ cup sugar and mix well
- continue to cook for further 5 minutes to absorb all the sugar.
- add roasted dry fruits and mix well.
- serve sweet sevai garnished with dry fruits if required.
Making sevai custard
- In a pan, add 1 liter milk and ¼ tsp kesar. stir well and get the milk to a boil.
- add in roasted semiya and mix well
- when seviya is cooked well then add ¼ cup sugar and mix well.
- Now in a small bowl take 2 tbsp custard powder and ½ cup milk.mix well.
- Gradually pour in custard slurry and stir continuously. cook until the milk thickens and turns creamy.
- Then transfer the custard semiya into a large bowl.
- cool completely, and refrigerate for 1- 2 hours.
- When sevai custard is chillied, then add chopped apple, pomegranate seeds, chopped grapes, chopped banana and roasted dry fruits. Mix well.
- garnish sevai custard with some fruits and dry fruits slits and enjoy.
- roasted dry fruit gives a nice flavor to meethi sev.
- roast sevai till it is completely golden brown.
- addition of cardamom pods into boiling water gives a nice flavor to meethi sev.
- add sugar when sevai is completely cooked.
- meethi sevai is separated when it completely cools down.
- mix custard powder into chilled milk.
- add gradually custard and milk mixture into sevai custard.
- at the time of serving, add fruits to sevai custard.
- do not add citrus fruit to sevai custard.