Mirchi vada is the popular street food of Jodhpur, Rajasthan. It is made with big-sized green chilli stuffed with spicy aloo masala and chickpea flour batter. It is a deep-fried snack served with spicy green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney. So with a few basic ingredients try out tasty and street-style mirchi bada or mirchi bhaji recipe.
mirchi bada recipe | mirchi vada | how to make Rajasthani mirchi bada
- 8-10 big-sized green chilli
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 dry red chilli
- 2 boiled potatoes
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup besan gram flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 tbsp hot oil
- Water as required
- Rinse the chilies and slit each of them from one side. Remove seeds from chilies and deep them into salted hot water to decrease their spiciness.
- Now in a mortal pestle, add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and dry red chilli. Crush them into a coarse powder.
- In a mixing bowl, add potatoes and mashed them. Then add coarsely ground masala, ginger paste, chopped green chilli, hing, amchur powder, garam masala, salt and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well
- Now stuff all the green chilies well with the prepared potato filling and keep aside.
- In a bowl take besan, rice flour, turmeric powder, salt, and baking powder. Mix well and add water gradually to make a medium-thick and lump-free batter.
- Heat enough oil in a pan or kadai.
- Once the oil turns hot, coat the stuffed chilies well in the besan batter and gently drop in the hot oil.
- Fry them over medium flame till they are golden and crisp.
- Once done, remove from oil and transfer to kitchen pepper to get rid of the excess oil.
- Rajasthani mirchi vadas are ready to serve. Serve with green and tamarind chutney.
- choose bigger-sized chilies for mirchi vada
- Dip chilies into salted hot water to decrease their spiciness.
- Stuff masala tightly into chilies.
- Rice flour gives crispness to the outer layer of mirchi vada.