Moong dal vada is a deep-fried snack made with grounded and soaked green moong dal lentils mixed with spices and herbs. It is slightly different than regular vada, Fluffy moong pakoda is pressed and again fry it to make crispy vada. They are extremely tasty and mouth melting only when just taken out from hot oil. These vadas are an ideal evening snack recipe that tastes great with a cup of tea. Do try this!
- Firstly, I used green moong dal. You can use yellow moong dal or whole green moong instead of it.
- Grind soaked dal into coarse mixture; do not grind into a smooth paste.
- Stir grinded batter in one direction so air particles incorporate into the batter and the batter becomes light and fluffy.
- Press the bhajiya, when they are slightly hot and immediately fry it again for making crispy vada.
- Fry onion vada on medium-high flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown from the outside.
Moong dal vada | crispy moong dal vada | how to make moong dal vada
- 1 cup green moong dal
- 1 inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder
- Pinch of hing
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1 medium size chopped onion
- ¼ cup methi leaves - optional
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp besan
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp hot oil
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak green moong dal for 3-4 hours in slightly hot water.
- Meanwhile, in a pan add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and black pepper. Roast for 2 minutes and crushed into a coarse powder.
- Then remove the soaked dal water and take out 3-4 tbsp dal into another bowl.
- Now, add dal into a mixer jar with ginger and garlic cloves. Without adding water grind it into a coarse paste.
- Take out grinded mixer into a bowl and stir continuously in one direction. After a few minutes mixer is light, fluffy, and changes its color.
- Then add some soaked dal, grinded masala, salt, red chili powder, dry mango powder, hing, chopped green chilli, chopped methi leaves, coriander leaves, and gram flour. mix well.
- Now add baking soda and some hot oil. Mix well into the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan greases hands with water, pinch balls sized hand, and make a round shape.
- Deep fry in hot oil keeping the flame on medium flame.
- Stir occasionally, and fry on medium flame until the pakoda turns slightly golden brown in color.
- Drain off balls from hot oil.
- When it is hot, press slightly and add into hot oil to fry it again.
- Fry vada on medium-hing flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown from the outside.
- Serve crispy moong dal vada with tomato ketchup or chutney.
- add slightly hot water to decrease the soaking time of dal.
- do not add water while grinding dal.
- Tip: gram flour (besan) gives binding to vada.
- fry dal balls/bhajiya on medium flame.
- when balls/bhajiya is hot, press immediately to make vada.
- add vada into hot oil and fry it on high flame till it becomes crispy.