Moong dal vada is a deep-fried snack made from ground and soaked yellow moong dal lentils blended with spices and herbs. They are incredibly delicious, with a crispy exterior and a melt-in-your-mouth texture when freshly fried. These vadas are perfect as an evening snack and pair wonderfully with chutney and a hot cup of tea. The crispy exterior and flavorful potato filling make it a favorite among people of all ages. Give them a try!
- Firstly, I used yellow moong dal. You can use green moong dal or whole green moong instead of it.
- I added besan to give binding to the vada. Do not add too much besan to the vada mixture, as it may make it become hard.
- fry the vada on medium flame until they become crispy and golden brown on both sides.
- Lastly, moong dal vada tastes great when served hot with fried green chillies, onion slices, and chutney.
Moong dal vada | moongdal batata vada | how to make moong dal vada
For moong dal vada
- ½ cup yellow moong dal
- 4-5 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup grated raw potatoes
- ½ cup onion
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp ajwain
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup besan
- Oil for frying
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 3-4 green chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup water
Making moong dal vada
- Wash and soak ½ cup moong dal in water for 3 hours.
- Drain the water from the soaked dal and transfer it to a blender jar.
- Add 4-5 green chilies, 1-inch piece of ginger, and 6-7 garlic cloves to the blender.
- Grind the dal mixture coarsely without adding water, using the pulse function. Set it aside.
- In a small pan, roast 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, and ½ tsp black pepper over low heat. Allow them to cool, then crush them into a coarse powder. Set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coarsely ground moong dal paste, 1 cup grated raw potatoes, ½ cup chopped onions, ½ cup chopped coriander leaves, some curry leaves, the ground spice mixture, a pinch of hing (asafoetida), ½ tsp ajwain, ½ tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste, and 1 tsp sesame seeds. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Add ½ cup besan (gram flour) to the mixture and mix until well combined. The mixture should bind together.
- Slightly wet your hands, take a small amount of the mixture, and shape it into vadas.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the vadas over medium heat until they turn golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Drain the fried vadas on a wire rack to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process for the remaining vadas.
- Serve the moong dal vadas with chutney.
- In a mixture jar, add grated coconut, roasted peanutes, green chilli, cumin seeds, salt, sugar and lemon juice.
- Add 1 cup water and grind it into smooth paste
- Chutney is ready to serve with moong dal vada.
- Do not add water while grinding dal.
- Grind dal coarsely on pulse grinding.
- Crush masala into coarse powder.
- Add gram flour gradually till mixture binds into hand.
- Fry vada on medium flame.