Pavbhaji is an easy and handy recipe made with regular spices and potatoes. it is easy to make and can be prepared in just a few minutes, but it does not compromise on taste and flavor. It has the same texture and taste like popular Mumbai style pavbhaji with any adding any artificial color. it is spicy, flavorful and tastes great when topped with butter and ladi pav. Do try this!
The key to making street style instant pavbhaji at home are
- Firstly, I made pavbhaji without any vegetables, only with potatoes. Potatoes give creaminess and vegetable gives crunchiness to pavbhaji. you can also extend the recipe by adding other veggies like green peas, gobi, carrots and beans to make it more nutritious.
- To brighten the red color of pavbhaji, I soaked kashmiri red chili and grind it with garlic and water to make a smooth paste. You can adjust the amount of chili according to your taste of spiciness.
- add slightly hot water to adjust the thickness of pavbhaji gravy. also do not add extra water while seasoning the bhaji on tawa as the initial water should be sufficient. if you feel the bhaji is thick, you may add water in batches till it gets the right consistency.
- Lastly, pavbhaji taste great when prepared with a generous amount of butter and served hot.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Pavbhaji recipe | Instant pavbhaji recipe | street style pavbhaji recipe
For chilli-garlic paste
- 5-6 kashmir dry red chilli
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Prepared chilli-garlic paste
- 2 cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp pavbhaji masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 400 grm or 4 medium size boiled potatoes
- 2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- some coriander leaves
serve: butter roasted ladi pav and salad
Making chili-garlic paste
- in a mixture jar, add soaked dry red chilli, garlic cloves, and water. Grind it into a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- in a pan, add oil and butter. Add cumin seeds and saute them.
- now add chopped onion and saute till onion is slightly golden brown.
- Add the prepared chili-garlic paste and saute till oil releases from its sides.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and salt. cover and cook tomatoes till it become slightly soft and mash them into the gravy.
- Then add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pavbhaji masala and kasuri methi. saute it.
- Now add grated boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Then with pavbhaji masher, mash everything and mix well.
- Now to adjust the gravy consistency, add 2 cups of hot water and mix well.
- Cook pavbhaji on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add lemon juice and mix well.
- Switch off the gas and garnish it with butter and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot pavbhaji with butter-roasted ladi pav and salad.
- Soaked dry red chilli in hot water to decrease its spiciness and become soft.
- Grind dry chilli and garlic into a smooth paste.
- The proportion of tomatoes should be more than onions.
- Cook tomatoes till they become slightly soft and mix them into gravy.
- Mash gravy with pavbhaji masher for its perfect texture.
- Add slightly hot water to the gravy to retain the color and flavor of the masala.
- Pavbhaji tastes great when it serve hot with butter.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes