Poha chivda is one of the popular diwali namkeen recipes where all the ingredients are deep fried and tossed with a spice mixture. Hence the name fried poha chivda. It is also known as jada poha no chevdo or poha mixture. It tastes‘ chatpata’ with a balanced flavor of sweet and tangy. It is easy to prepare and lasts longs one month. So, do try it at home and definitely, this homemade snack recipe will be loved by everyone.
The key to making tasty poha chivda at home are:
- Firstly, I Use thick poha for chivda mixture but if you want to make roasted chivda then you can use thin poha instead of it.
- I have used fried green chili for the spiciness, you can also add dry red chili to increase spice level.
- Mix turmeric powder into the hot oil so it will easily be coated with chivda and give its color.
- Mix all spices together and then add into chivda for balance chivda taste.
- Lastly, store the chivda in an airtight container once cooled completely; else the moisture may turn the poha soggy.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for thick poha chivda
- 3 cup or 300 grm thick poha jada poha
- ½ cup peanuts
- 6 tbsp roasted chana dal dalia
- 4 tbsp cashews
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ½ cup dry coconut slices
- 20-25 curry leaves
- 4 green chilli slits
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp citric acid limbo na phool
- 3 tbsp powder sugar
- 2 tbsp oil+ oil for deep frying
- Heat oil in a pan, add take peanuts in a sieve and immerse the sieve in the oil. Fry the peanuts till they are light brown. Remove them in a large bowl.
- Then next fry roasted chana dal or dalia into same way and remove them in the same bowl.
- Now fry cashews slices and remove them in a bowl.
- Then lower the gas flame and fry raisins. Within seconds, they will get plump up. Immediately remove them.
- Now fry coconut slices and remove them in a bowl.
- Then fry curry leaves and green chilli. And take out it into plate; do not mix them with chivda mixture.
- Lastly fry poha in batches on high flame till they are expanded in the size. No need to brown them.
- Keep frying and keep collecting them in a bowl till you are finished with all the poha.
- Now in a big size bowl, add 2 tbsp oil and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add chivda mixture and coat it with turmeric powder.
- Remove slightly hot mixture into bowl.
- Then in a small bowl, add red chilli powder, fennel seeds powder, salt, citric acid and sugar. mix well and add masala into chivda mixture. Mix well.
- Lastly add fried curry leaves and green chilli. mix well. .
- Let it cool down completely.
- Serve or store poha chivda into air-tight container.
- use fresh poha for a more crispy poha chivda recipe.
- additionally, add crushed garlic for more flavor in the tempering.
- Poha chivda tastes great when topped with a few chopped onions and tomato.