Puri bhaji is popular and tasty street food made with deep-fried puris and spicy potato sabzi. The best part is that this no-fuss recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home. It is easy to make and served for morning breakfast or lunch and dinner.
I have a few no-fail tips to help you make perfect fluffy puri and tasty batata bhaji on the first attempt. Do try this easy puri bhaji.
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for puri bhaji
For puri dough
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp fine rava
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oil
- ¾ cup water or as required
For batata bhaji
- 2 tbsp desi ghee
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp hing Asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp soaked methi seeds
- 1 tbsp gram flour besan
- 5 Boiled potatoes rough mashed
- Salt to taste
- 500 ml or Water as required
- 1 tbsp Jaggery/sugar optional
- 1 tsp amchur
- ¼ tsp black salt
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- Some chopped coriander leaves
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, rava, salt, sugar, and oil. Mix well.
- Add little lukewarm water and knead tight dough.
- Cover and rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Make a small size ball from the dough and place the balls into a small bowl and 1 tsp oil. grease the ball to prevent it from drying.
- now take a ball and roll using a rolling pin. roll to slightly thick thickness.
- drop the rolled dough into the hot oil.
- press until the puri puffs up and splash oil to puff up fully.
- flip over and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Drain them on a plate and serve hot with batata bhaji.
Making batata bhaji
- You need 5 boiled potatoes for this recipe, so you can boil the potatoes by pressure cooking them for 2-3 whistles in a pressure cooker or boil until done.
- In a pan, add some desi ghee, you can use oil too and heat it.
- Now add in the jeera, ginger (Chopped), green chilies (Chopped & as required), crushed saunf (Fennel seeds), crushed coriander seeds (Sabut dhania), dry red chilies & sauté for a minute. Do not overburn the spices.
- Now add in the hing (Asafoetida), turmeric powder, red chili powder, soaked methi, besan (Gram flour) & cook for half a minute or till oil separates from its sides.
- Now roughly crush or mash the potatoes with your hands and salt. Mix well.
- Add the water, I used 500 ml water because the sabzi thickens if we do not serve immediately. You can adjust as required.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add in the jaggery, amchur powder, kasuri methi, black salt, and mix well.
- Add some fresh coriander and serve the delicious batata bhaji with fluffy puri.
- knead the tight and smooth dough for puri.
- rest puri dough for 20-25 minutes.
- add masala in hot oil gives nice color and flavor to batata bhaji.
- amchur powder gives a nice flavor to batata bhaji.
- fry puries on high-medium flame.