Puri bhaji is popular and tasty street food made with deep-fried puris and spicy potato sabzi. The best part is that this no-fuss recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home. It is easy to make and served for morning breakfast or for lunch and dinner.
I have shared a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect fluffy puri and tasty batata bhaji on the first attempt. Do try this easy puri bhaji.
Puri bhaji recipe | street style puri shak | puri and potato bhaji recipe
For puri dough
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp fine rava
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oil
- ¾ cup water or as required
For batata bhaji
- 2 tbsp desi ghee
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp hing Asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp soaked methi seeds
- 1 tbsp gram flour besan
- 5 Boiled potatoes rough mashed
- Salt to taste
- 500 ml or Water as required
- 1 tbsp Jaggery/sugar optional
- 1 tsp amchur
- ¼ tsp black salt
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- Some chopped coriander leaves
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, rava, salt, sugar, and oil. Mix well.
- Add little lukewarm water and knead tight dough.
- Cover and rest for 20-25 minutes.
- Make a small size ball from the dough and place the balls into a small bowl and 1 tsp oil. grease the ball to prevent it from drying.
- now take a ball and roll using a rolling pin. roll to a slightly thick thickness.
- drop the rolled dough into the hot oil.
- press until the puri puffs up and splash oil to puff up fully.
- flip over and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Drain them on a plate and serve hot with batata bhaji.
Making batata bhaji
- You need 5 boiled potatoes for this recipe, so you can boil the potatoes by pressure cooking them for 2-3 whistles in a pressure cooker or boil until done.
- In a pan, add some desi ghee, you can use oil too and heat it.
- Now add in the jeera, ginger (Chopped), green chilies (Chopped & as required), crushed saunf (Fennel seeds), crushed coriander seeds (Sabut dhania), dry red chilies & sauté for a minute. Do not overburn the spices.
- Now add in the hing (Asafoetida), turmeric powder, red chili powder, soaked methi, and besan (Gram flour) & cook for half a minute or till oil separate from its sides.
- Now roughly crush or mash the potatoes with your hands and salt. Mix well.
- Add the water, I used 500 ml water because the sabzi thickens if we do not serve immediately. You can adjust as required.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add in the jaggery, amchur powder, kasuri methi, and black salt and mix well.
- Add some fresh coriander and serve the delicious batata bhaji with fluffy puri.
- knead the tight and smooth dough for puri.
- rest puri dough for 20-25 minutes.
- add masala in hot oil gives nice color and flavor to batata bhaji.
- amchur powder gives a nice flavor to batata bhaji.
- fry puris on high-medium flame.