Rava pak or amrut pak is a traditional Gujarati sweet dessert prepared with basic ingredients semolina, ghee, and sugar. It is flavor with cardamom powder and topped with dry fruits like chopped cashews and almonds which give a crunchy effect to it. It is an extremely simple recipe. I share a perfect ingredient ratio and few no-fail tips help you to make the perfect rava pak on the first attempt. Do try this!
The key to making delicious rava pak/ barfi at home are:
- I have used a fine variety of rava for this recipe and I recommend grinding coarse rava into a mixture jar if you do not have fine rava at home.
- For pak/barfi, Roast rava till it changes its color and separate ghee from its sides.
- Sugar syrup should have slightly sticky for barfi, do not take 1 or 2 string consistency of sugar for pak otherwise, it will become hard.
- I use milk powder to give mawa like taste to rava pak. you can use mawa instead of milk powder.
- cook the pak mixture till it separates from the pan else it will become chewy and not set properly into pieces.
- Rava pak tastes great when served when it is warm. You can store rava pak in an air-tight container.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for rava pak
- 1 cup or 150 grm sooji rava or semolina (fine verity)
- ¾ cup or 150 grm sugar
- ½ cup or 100 grm ghee
- 1/2 cup water
- ¼ tsp cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tbsp milk powder optional
- 2 tbsp almond and pistachio slits
- In a pan, add ghee and rava. Now lower the flame, stir continuously, and roast rava.
- Keep stirring and roasting till it gets a slight brown color. After 5-7 minutes you will get the nice toasty aroma of rava and ghee separates from it.
- Then switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Now in a pan, add sugar and water. mix well.
- Cook till sugar is completely dissolved and sugar syrup is slightly sticky.
- Then add hot sugar syrup into roasted rava and mix well.
- Again switch on the gas on the lower flame and mix well
- Cook the mixture till it is slightly thick.
- Then add cardamom powder and milk powder to it. Mix well.
- Stir continuously till the mixture bind properly, ghee will start to ooze out and the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Then turn off the stove heat and pour pak mixture into grease plate.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slits and set pak for 1 hrs at room temperature.
- Cut rava pak into pieces and serve. Also, store it into an airtight container for 6-7 days at room temperature and 15 days into the refrigerator.
- In grams proportion of rava and sugar is equal.
- Roast rava till it changes its color and separate ghee from its sides.
- sugar syrup should have slightly sticky for rava pak.
- do not overcook pak mixture otherwise, it will become hard.