Khaman Dhokla is an all-time favorite Gujarati snack recipe. In this recipe, I made a sandwich khaman with regular khaman dhokla layered with green chutney and top up with tomato sauce and sev. It is a combination of sweet and sour taste, which is generally served as a snack but can also be served as a morning breakfast recipe or a sudden guest at home. It is an easy and foolproof recipe of soft and spongy khaman dhokla. Do try this!
- Firstly, Dhokla batter should be medium thick and ribbon-like pouring consistency. I grind dhokla batter well so air particles incorporate in it and dhokla becomes soft and spongy dhokla. You can use a hand whisker instead of a mixture jar.
- dhokla tastes great when it is slightly sweet and sour. I use nimbu na phool (citric acid) to give sourness to dhokla batter. You can use lemon juice instead of it.
- For soft and fluffy dhokla, I have added baking soda which can be easily replaced with Eno fruit salt if you wish to. But I would heavily recommend using very less turmeric as it would react with baking soda to yield a pink color spot.
- i have steamed the dhokla on a steel vessel, you can use kadai or steamer instead of it. Also, preheating steamer and kadai helps to make spongy dhokla.
- Spread some tempering on cooked dhokla to enhance its flavor and taste.
- Lastly, sandwich dhokla tastes great when it is served immediately.
Recipe card for sandwich khaman dhokla
For dhokla batter
- 1 cup or 130 grm gram flour besan
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- Pinch of turmeric do not use more
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp citric acid
- ¾ tsp baking soda perfect in 1 cup besan
For dhokla tempering
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp lemon juice
For green chutney
- 1 big bunch of coriander leaves
- 4 green chilli as per your taste
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp slightly cold water
For sandwich khaman
- Khaman dhokla
- Green chutney
- Tomato sauce
- Pomegranate seeds
Making khaman dhokla
- In a mixture jar, add water, oil, hing, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, and nimbu na phool. Grind it, the white mixture is ready.
- Then add 1 cup of besan and grind it again.
- The smooth and ribbon-like flowing consistency of dhokla batter are ready.
- Take out into mixing bowl and rest for 15 minutes.
- Then add baking soda and 1 tbsp water and mix well till the batter become fluffy and light.
- Now pour dhokla batter into a grease steel bowl.
- Then in a deep bottom vessel (big patili) add 3-4 cups of water and bring to a boil. When water comes to a boil, put this plate with a hole on it and grease it.
- Place a steel bowl on it and cover it with the big vessel. Then steam dhokla for 12-15 minutes at a medium-high flame.
- The best way to check whether they are cooked or not is to insert a knife in the middle. If it comes clear, dhokla is done.
- Switch off the flame and let it rest.
- Then demold khaman dhokla from the bowl and cut it into two pieces.
Making green chutney
- In a mixture jar, add coriander leaves, green chili, ginger, cumin seeds, salt, peanuts, chat masala, sugar, lemon juice, and little water. Grind it.
- Green chutney is ready.
Making sandwich khaman
- For dhokla tempering, in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, white sesame seeds, water, sugar, and salt. Boil water until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now switch off the gas and add lemon juice to it.
- Then pour hot tempering on dhokla pieces.
- Now spread green chutney on one side.
- Then cover the chutney with another layer of dhokla.
- Now on the top, spread some tomato sauce and sprinkle some sev and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve sandwich khaman dhokla immediately.
- The consistency of dhokla batter is smooth and ribbon-like flowing.
- Rest dhokla batter for 10-15 minutes, so besan soak properly.
- After adding baking soda stir the batter continuously for 1 minute, so soda incorporate into the batter.
- Dhokla batter should be frothy and velveting texture.
- Steam dhokla on high-medium flame for 12-15 minutes. Do not oversteam dhokla.
- The addition of tempering into sandwich dhokla enhances its taste and flavor.
- You can use red chutney instead of tomato sauce.
- Sandwich dhokla tastes great when it serves immediately.