Schezwan Frankie is a popular Indian street-style kathi roll made with spicy and tasty schezwan chutney, aloo patties and roti. In this recipe, I share market style schezwan chutney recipe with all available ingredients in your kitchen. A popular snack, especially with kids and students, is a perfect bite to relish during short breaks. Basically, the recipe can be prepared with leftover chapathi for your evening snacks. So with a few basic ingredients try out a tasty and street-style spicy, tangy and tasty schezwan Frankie recipe.
Schezwan Frankie recipe | schezwan chutney recipe | schezwan Frankie with homemade schezwan chutney
For schezwan sauce
- 50 grm kashmiri red chillies
- 2 cup water for boiling
- 1 star anise
- 30 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1.5 tbsp chopped coriander stems or celery
- 1 chopped green chilli
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- ½ tsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp sugar
For Frankie masala
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- Salt to taste
For chilli vinegar
- 2 chopped green chilli
- ½ cup vinegar
For schezwan aloo Pattie
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cup or 5-6 medium size boiled potatoes
- 1 tbsp Frankie masala
- 3 tbsp schezwan sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- Some coriander leaves
For Frankie roti
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup maida
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water to knead dough
- Frankie roti
- ½ tsp schezwan sauce
- ½ tsp tomato sauce
- 1 schezwan aloo pattie
- Chopped cabbage
- Chopped onion
- Frankie masala
- Grated cheese optional
Making schezwan chutney
- In a pan, add water and dry kashmiri red chilli. Cook chilli on medium-low heat until it becomes soft.
- Remove water from chillies and grind it into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in pan, add star anise, finely chopped garlic cloves and chopped ginger. Sauté it.
- Add chopped coriander stems and chopped green chilli in it.
- Then add grinded chilli paste and cook till it releases oil from the sides of the pan.
- Add tomato sauce, red chilli paste, soya sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix well.
- When oil separates from the sides of the chutney then switch off the gas.
- Cool down completely and store chutney in airtight glass bottle.
Making Frankie masala
- In a bowl, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chaat masala, amchur powder, pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
- Frankie masala is ready. store it in an airtight bottle.
Making chilli vinegar
- In a bowl, mix chilli and vinegar. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes. Chilli vinegar is ready
Making schezwan aloo pattie
- Heat oil in a pan, add Frankie masala and sauté for a minute.
- Add schezwan sauce and tomato sauce. Mix well.
- Then add boiled and mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Add some coriander leaves and mix.
- The cool down mixture then rolls an oval-shaped aloo pattie and flatten it with your hand.
- Heat oil in a pan, and place aloo pattie on it. cook on low flame till crispy layer from both the sides of pattie.
Making Frankie roti
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, maida, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Add water gradually and knead soft dough.
- Take some dough and roll it into big-size roti.
- Heat a pan, add Frankie roti and roast it slightly.
- Apply butter on roti and roast till brown spots on roti.
Assembling schezwan Frankie
- Take a roti, spread schezwan chutney and tomato sauce.
- Place a pattice over the sauce.
- Top with finely chopped cabbage, onion, chilli vinegar and Frankie masala.
- Also, top with grated cheese and roll both the sides of roti.
- Serve schezwan Frankie.
- use dry Kashmiri red chilli for schezwan chutney.
- cook chilli until it becomes soft and tender.
- cook schezwan chutney on high flame.
- knead the soft dough for Frankie.
- roll Frankie roti into a bigger size.
- do not over-roast Frankie roti.