Surti pettis is deep-fried pettis made from boiled and mashed potatoes with sweet and spicy coconut stuffing. This is a popular Gujarati farsan originating from surat in Gujarat. It is a tasty stuffed potato snack served with green chutney. Usually, it is served as a snack with green chutney and sauce, but it is also popularly served as a side dish or appetizer with a main course meal.
Surti pettis recipe | Gujarati stuffed pattice recipe | how to make stuffed potato patties
For stuffed masala
- ¼ cup mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup crushed roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp white sesame
- 1 tsp saunf powder
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp green chilli paste
- 2 tbsp powder sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp raisins
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
For outer layer
- 2 medium sized Mashed potatoes
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Other ingredient
- 2 tsp corn flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Take 2 medium-sized potatoes and grate them with a grater.
- For stuffing, in a mixing bowl add mashed potatoes, coarsely ground unsalted peanuts, grated fresh coconut, sesame seeds, fennel seeds, ginger-green chilli paste, powdered sugar, lemon juice, salt, garam masala, pomegranate seeds, cashew nuts, raisins, and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well. Then lightly grease your hands and make small-sized round balls. Keep it aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add boiled mashed potatoes, corn flour, salt, and oil and prepare the dough-like mixture.
- Take a ball from the prepared outer layer mixture and using greased hands lightly flatten it like a puri shape.
- Place small size stuffing ball in the middle and lifting from the edges close the pettis. Give it a ball shape.
- Prepare all pettis in the same way.
- In a plate take 2 tbsp corn flour and roll all the pettis one by one coating them well.
- Now heat oil on medium flame and fry 4-5 pettis at a time.
- Once they are slightly cooked then turn them over and cook till golden brown.
- Take it all fried pattis on a paper napkin and serve hot with green chutney.
- Cool down boiled potatoes so the outer layer of patties becomes crispy and absorbs less oil
- Grate boiled potatoes so the outer layer of patties becomes smooth and even.
- Soaked poha helps to bind patties stuffing.
- Arrowroot powder is used instead of corn flour.
- Seal patties properly so the inner layer will not come out at the time of frying it.