Thepla is the most popular flatbread or roti in Gujarati cuisine. it is typically served for breakfast and lunch with yogurt and mango pickle. In this recipe, I share two varieties of thepla one is masaledar methi thepla and meetha thepla or gud thepla. Both are tasty and easy to make with all available ingredients in your kitchen. do try this!
- Thepla dough should be soft and smooth.
- thepla has to be fried on medium to high flame and not on low flame. On low flame, the thepla would turn hard and brittle.
- Apply some ghee on roasted thepla helps to make it softer for a longer time.
Thepla recipe | methi thepla | gud thepla | how to make Gujarati thepla
For methi thepla
- 1.5 cup wheat flour
- 3 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp ajwain
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 cup methi leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 2 green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp curd
- ¼ cup water or as required
- Oil for roasting thepla
- Ghee optional
For meetha or gud thepla
- 1 cup jaggery gud
- ½ cup water
- 2 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Ghee for roasting thepla
Making methi thepla
- In a pan, add oil, hing, ajwain, and sesame seeds. Sauté it. Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Then add chopped methi leaves and sauté for 2 minutes. keep it aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, methi masala, coriander leaves, green chili paste, ginger paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt, and curd. Mix well.
- Add water gradually and knead soft dough. Cover and rest for 15 minutes.
- now pinch a medium-sized ball of dough, roll, and flatten it.
- also, dust with some wheat flour and roll it in a thin circle like chapati.
- now on a hot tawa place the rolled thepla and cook for a minute.
- when the base is partly cooked, flip the methi thepla and brush oil / ghee and press slightly.
- Serve methi thepla with raita and pickle.
Making meetha gud thepla.
- In a pan, add gud and water. Mix well and melt gud completely.
- Sieve gud water and cool down completely.
- Then add wheat flour, ghee, fennel seeds, and cardamom powder.
- Mix well and knead the semi-soft dough. Do not rest the dough.
- pinch a medium-sized ball of dough, roll, and flatten it.
- grease the surface with some ghee and roll it in a medium-thick circle like chapati.
- now on a hot tawa place, the rolled thepla and cook for a minute.
- when the base is partly cooked, flip the methi thepla and brush ghee, and press slightly.
- Serve meetha or gud thepla with pickle.
- cook methi leaves increase the shelf life of thepla.
- the thickness of methi thepla should be thin.
- roast thepla on medium flame.
- cool down jaggery water completely.
- fennel seed and cardamom powder give a delicious taste to thepla.
- roast thepla on a medium-high flame, do not overcook it.