Gathiya is one of the most popular savory and crunchy Gujarati snacks. Tikha papdi is an extremely easy tea-time evening snack prepared from chickpea flour and regular spices. The process of tikha papdi gathiya same as papdi gathiya, just add spiciness to it. It also has a very long shelf life and can store it in an airtight container for months. It is quick and easy to prepare and is liked by all age groups.
I share a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips help you to make perfect tikha papdi gathiya on the first attempt. Do try this!
The key to making the perfect papadi gathiya at home are:
- For gathiya dough, the ratio of water and oil should be equal.
- For making soft gathiya, I used papad khar which is easily available in Indian grocery stores. But you can also use baking soda instead.
- For soft and crispy gathiya, add water gradually and knead soft dough.
- Fry gathiya on medium flame till it becomes crispy.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for tikha papdi gathiya
- 250 grms or 2.5 cup gram flour
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ tsp papad khar
- Salt to taste
- Water as required to make soft dough
- Oil for deep frying
For special masala
- ¼ tsp hing
- 1 tsp black salt
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Place a sieve and add 250 grams or 2.5 cup gram flour in it.
- Add hing, red chilli powder, and mix well.
- Now, In a bowl, add ½ cup water, ½ cup oil, ½ tsp papad khar, and salt to taste.
- Mix with hand whisker till it becomes a thick white emulsion
- Add mixture into dough and mix everything to make a soft dough.
- Then in the dough, add little water at a time and make soft dough for gathiya.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add hing, red chilli powder, and black salt. mix well, special masala is ready.
- Heat oil on medium flame. Put a small portion of dough into it,if it immediately comes to the surface without changing into brown then the oil is ready for frying.
- Then place papdi maker properly on kadai and grease with oil.
- Then place soft dough on papdi maker and rub it with your palm. Deep fry on medium heat till they turn crispy.
- Sprinkle some masala on hot gathiya and mix well.
- For another method, place papdi plate in a greased sevmaker and fill it with dough. Then above hot oil move machine into circular motion.
- Also deep fry all papdi on medium heat till it become crispy. Sprinkle some masala on it.
- Use Kashmiri red chili powder for the good color of gathiya.
- Do not use papad khar more than ½ tsp.
- papad khar gives better results than baking soda.
- Fry gathiya on medium-low flame.