It is a flavored and tasty rice recipe prepared with regular spices and vegetables. it is a one-pot meal and hence an ideal light dinner recipe and easily appreciated by kids and all age groups. I also share vegetable raita recipes to serve with rice. This rice can be prepared simply and quickly in a pressure cooker saving you time. The best part is that this no-fuss recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home. Do try this!
- You can add any choice of vegetables while preparing it.
- You should be good at using basmati rice to prepare this recipe of spiced vegetable rice. Alternatively, you can also use any common eatable and edible rice should be good too.
- I prepare it in a cooker by mixing water, rice, and spice mixture in a pressure cooker. But you can also make it with leftover rice.
- For raita use fresh and thick dahi.
Vagharelo bhat | masala rice in cooker | vegetable raita recipe
For vagharelo bhat
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chilli
- 2 medium size sliced onion
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 chopped green chilli
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 medium size chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium size chopped potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup water
- Some coriander leaves
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For vegetable raita
- 1 medium size chopped onion
- 1 medium size chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp black salt
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 1.5 cup fresh dahi
Making vagharelo bhat
- Wash rice under running cold water till water runs clear. Soak rice for 25-30 minutes
- Now in a pressure cooker, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilli. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add sliced onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilli. Sauté it.
- Now, lower the flame and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and potato cubes. Mix well.
- Then add 1.5 cup water and mix.
- When water comes to boil, then add soaked rice, coriander leaves, garam masala and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Cover the pressure cooker lid, Cook for 1 whistle on medium-low heat.
- When the pressure cooker releases its pressure naturally, then open the lid and serve with vegetable raita.
Making vegetable raita
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped onion, tomatoes, grated carrot, coriander leaves, green chilli, cumin powder, black salt, salt, sugar, and fresh dahi. Mix well.
- Vegetable raita is ready to serve with rice.
- soaked rice helps to fasten its cooking process.
- The ratio of rice and water should be 1:1.5
- When water comes to boil, then add soaked rice in it.
- cook rice on medium flame.