A healthy and tasty Gujarati breakfast made with wheat flour. It is an all-time favorite snacks recipe generally served for morning breakfast. It is very simple and easy to make and healthy snack recipes for all age groups.
Khichu can be prepared from various types of flours like rice flour, wheat flour, jowar flour, or bajri flour. This recipe uses the wheat flour which is slowly added to the mix of cumin seeds, carom seeds, green chili in boiling water until thick like soft dough, and then cooked with steam. finally, enjoy khichu topped with peanut oil and pickle masala.
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for khichu
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 2 cup water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp carom seeds
- 2 tsp green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 or pinch of baking soda
- In a pan add 2 cup water.
- When water becomes hot, add cumin seeds, carom seeds, green chili paste, salt, and baking soda. Traditionally papa khar is added in place of baking soda.
- Mix well and get water to boil for 3 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup wheat flour and stir well with wooden sticks.
- Stir continuously until the wheat flour absorbs all the water.
- Break the lumps and form a soft and fluffy mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until wheat flour are cooked completely.
- Serve khichu topped with pickle masala and peanut oil.
- Flour and water ratio should be 1:2 or 1:2.5
- If you are making khicha for papad then add papad khar instead of baking soda.
- Add flour gradually and mix with a wooden stick.
- you can use red chili powder instead of pickle masala.