A healthy and tasty gujarati breakfast made with wheat flour. It is all time favourite snack recipe generally served for morning breakfast. It is a very simple and easy to make and healthy snack recipe for all age groups.
Khichu can be prepared from various types of flour like rice flour, wheat flour, jowar flour or bajri flour. This recipe uses wheat flour which is slowly added to the mix of cumin seeds, carom seeds, and green chilli in boiling water until thick like soft dough and then cooked with steam. finally, enjoy khichu topped with peanut oil and pickle masala.
Wheat flour khichu recipe | papdi no lot | how to make gujarati atta kichu
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 2 cup water
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp carom seeds
- 2 tsp green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 or pinch of baking soda
- In a pan add 2 cup water.
- When the water becomes hot, add cumin seeds, carom seeds, green chilli paste, salt and baking soda. Traditionally papa khar is added in place of baking soda.
- Mix well and get water to boil for 3 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup wheat flour and stir well with wooden sticks.
- Stir continuously until the wheat flour absorbs all the water.
- Break the lumps and form a soft and fluffy mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until wheat flour are cooked completely.
- Serve khichu topped with pickle masala and peanut oil.
- The flour and water ratio should be 1:2 or 1:2:5
- If you are making khichu for papad then add papad khar instead of baking soda.
- Add flour gradually and mix with a wooden stick.
- you can use red chilli powder instead of pickle masala.