Basket puri chaat is a tasty chaat recipe made with crispy deep fried bowls or baskets. The basket is filled with potatoes-chana masala, finely chopped vegetables, and top with chaat chutney and sev. It tastes sweet, sour, and spicy and loves by all kinds of age groups. In this recipe, I share two chaat chutney, quick masala, and a few no-fail tips to make crispy basket puri with mould and without mould. Do try this!
- Firstly, I made basket puri dough with all-purpose flour, but you made it half wheat flour and half maida. Also, the same recipe can also be prepared with potatoes as aloo laccha katori chaat.
- Secondly, I made basket puri with mould and without mould. Both are easy to make and store in an airtight container. Prepare chaat just before serving.
- lastly, the stuffing is completely open-ended and you can decorate it as per your preference. perhaps, boiled chickpeas, any sprouts ad boiled peas should be a good option.
Basket puri chaat | basket chaat recipe | how to make basket puri
For basket puri
- 250 grm or 2 cup all purpose flour - maida
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- ½ cup water or as required
For special masala
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp amchur powder
- 1 tbsp black salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 medium size or 2 cup boiled potatoes pieces
- ½ cup boiled chana
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Masala
For green chutney
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp roasted chana dal
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup cold water
For date-tamarind chutney
- ½ cup dates
- ½ cup tamarind
- ½ cup jaggery
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- Pinch of salt
For assembling basket puri chaat
- 6-7 basket puri
- Potato-chana masala
- Hung curd
- Green chutney
- Date-tamarind chutney
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped onion
- Special masala
- Pomegranate seeds
Making basket puri
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, salt, and hot oil. Mix well into flour.
- Then add water gradually and knead semi-soft dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Take one part of the dough and roll it into a log.
- Now with the help of a knife, cut a small size ball for puri.
- Take one ball and roll it into medium size and thin puri. Prick it with a fork.
- Now grease basket mould with oil and place puri on it. now take the second mould on puri and press lightly puri between two mould ( please refer to video ).
- Remove extra dough and Make all puri in the same way.
- Without mould place small size katori at the centre of the puri and wrap it with puri. Remove extra dough and make all basket puri without mould.
- deep fry basket puri on medium-low flame till it turns golden and crisp.
- Drain off fried basket puri and repeat the process to make all basket puri.
- Store basket puri into an air-tight container.
making special masala
- In a bowl, add cumin powder, amchur powder, black salt, and red chilli powder. Mix well. Special masala is ready.
- In a mixing bowl, add boiled and chopped potato pieces, boiled chana, coriander leaves, and special masala. mix well. Stuffing is ready, keep it aside.
Making green chutney
- In a mixing jar, add green coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chili, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, chaat masala, lemon juice, sugar, roasted chana dal, salt, and cold water.
- grind it into a smooth paste.
- Green chutney is ready.
Making tamarind date chutney
- In a pan, add date and tamarind pulp, and jaggery. Mix well
- Cook it for10-15 minutes on medium flame.
- Then add cumin powder, dry ginger powder, red chilli powder, saunf powder, and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Switch off the gas and sieve the chutney mixture.
- Tamarind-date chutney is ready.
Making basket puri chaat.
- Take a katori on a plate.
- Then topped it with masala, hung curd, green chutney, date-tamarind chutney, chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, masala, sev, and pomegranate seed.
- Serve immediately.
- add hot oil into the dough helps to make crispy basket puri and knead the semi-soft dough for basket puri.
- roll thin and medium size puri and prick puri with a fork so the basket never puffs up while frying.
- Two basket moulds help to make the perfect shape of puri.
- grease mould with oil so it easily leaves dough while frying in hot oil.
- at the time of frying, keep the flame medium-low and do not flip mould for 2-3 minutes.
- fry basket puri on medium heat.