Basundi is the most popular Gujarati or Maharastrian sweet. It is made of evaporated milk flavored with cardamom and finally garnish with nuts. Here is an easy video recipe for basundi.
Basundi is similar to the recipe of north Indian rabri recipe. Traditionally basundi is made by simmering milk for a long time until the milk reduces to almost half the original quantity. But in this recipe, I share a quick basundi recipe using homemade condensed milk. I also share a few basic things which should be kept in mind while making basundi at home and it will always turn out perfect.
Basundi recipe | how to make basundi | easy milk basundi recipe
- 500 ml milk
- ½ cup Condense milk
- 2 tbsp saffron water
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ cup chopped dry fruits
For homemade condense milk
- ½ cup milk powder
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp melted ghee
- ¼ cup warm water
Homemade condense milk
- In a pan, add milk powder, powdered sugar, a pinch of baking soda, ghee and warm water. Mix well and make a smooth and lump-free mixture.
- Stir continuously and cook the mixture on low flame till it becomes thick.
- Homemade condensed milk is ready.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add little water and milk. When the milk comes to a boil lower the flame and boils milk for 5 to 7 minutes. Scraping off the cream from the sides and adding to boiling milk.
- Keep stirring often to prevent burning.
- Pour homemade condensed milk and continue to boil on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Milk comes to a slightly thicker consistency then add the saffron milk and cardamom powder.
- Simmer for a few minutes and add chopped nuts.
- Switch off the gas and transfer to the serving bowl.
- Cool completely and refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Garnish chilled basundi with nuts.
- If you are not using condensed milk then take 750 ml milk and ¼ cup sugar for basundi.
- Condense milk help to reduce the cooking time of basundi
- basundi thickens once cooled completely, so adjust the consistency as required by adding milk before serving.
- Chilled basundi is more creamy and tasty.