Batata handvo is a unique handva recipe made with potatoes and spicy green peas stuffing. It is easy to make and is a great dish to serve for breakfast or keep for a tiffin box. It is quick and prepared in under 30 minutes. it is generally served with spicy green chutney and tamarind chutney. It is easy to make and loved by all kinds of age groups. Do give this one a try!
Batata handvo recipe | how to make batata handvo | Gujarati handvo recipe
For outer layer
- 5 medium size boiled potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp green chilli
- ½ cup arrowroot powder + some flour for dusting
- 1.5 cup green peas
- 4 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- Some curry leaves
- In a mixing bowl, grate boiled potatoes. Add salt, green chilli paste and arrowroot powder. Mix well and knead the dough.
- Now in a mixture jar, add green peas, green chilli, ginger and garlic. Grind into a coarse mixture.
- In a pan, add oil, a pinch of hing and cumin seeds. Add grinded stuffing and mix well.
- Then add salt and baking soda. Cover and cook mixture for 2-3 minutes or till it becomes soft.
- Add sugar, coriander leaves, garam masala and lemon juice. Mix well.
- The stuffing is ready. Keep it aside.
- Divide potato dough into two equal parts. Apply some flour and roll the dough into a round shape. Repeat the process for another part of the potato dough.
- For making hadva, add oil to a pan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, white sesame seeds and curry leaves in it.
- Add roll potato mixture in the pan, topped it with stuffing and cover the stuffing with another rolled potato mixture.
- Keep the flame low and cook handvo for 15-20 minutes.
- Flip another side and again cover and cook it for 10 minutes.
- When handva cooked from both side then serve it with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- arrowroot powder gives blindness to potatoes mixture.
- potatoes mixture should be dry and non-sticky.
- add lemon juice after switching off the gas.
- cook handva on low flame.