Bread batata vada or jumbo batata vada is famous street food in Rajasthan, India. The taste of vada is slightly spicy and tangy. It is a lip-smacking recipe made with potato masala coated with bread slices and gram flour base batter. It is served with chutney and fried chilies. It is ideal to be served as an evening snack with a cup of tea or coffee. So with a few basic ingredients try out tasty and street-style batata vada.
- Firstly, Besan batter has a pouring and thin coating consistency and coated the backside of the spoon very well. Also, whisk besan batter for 2-3 minutes, so air particles incorporate into it and help to make fluffy batata vada.
- The taste of batata vada is slightly spicy and tangy. You can adjust green chilli and spices according to your taste.
- Deep fry batata vada on medium flame till it is evenly cooked. Do not fry it on high or low flame.
- Lastly, batata vada tastes great when served hot with fried chilies and chutney.
recipe card for bread batata vada
- 1 cup besan gram flour
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1/8 tsp or pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp hot oil
- ¾ cup water
For aloo masala
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 8-9 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 6-7 chopped green chilli
- ½ cup green peas
- 3 tbsp chopped green mango pieces
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 packet maggi magic masala
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp dry mint leaves
- 2 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- Salt to taste
- Some coriander leaves
- 8 bread slices
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup dates khajur
- 2 tbsp tamarind
- ¼ cup jaggery
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup water to grind chutney
- Garnish with sesame seeds and coriander seeds
Making besan batter
- In a mixing bowl, add the besan, turmeric powder, ajwain, hing, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- add water gradually to make a smooth and thin coating consistency of batter also make sure there should not be any lumps.
- Use a whisk to whisk the batter nicely, whisk for at least 4-5 minutes, and make sure the consistency of the batter should not be too thick or too thin, it should be in flowing consistency.
- Once whisked well, let the batter rest for a minimum time of 15 minutes.
Making aloo masala
- In a pan, add oil, jeera, hing, fennel seeds, and coriander seeds. Sauté it.
- Then add chopped garlic cloves, chopped ginger, and chopped green chili. Sauté till its raw smell goes away.
- Now add green peas and sauté till they become slightly soft.
- Then add chopped raw mango pieces and sauté them.
- Now lower the flame and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, maggi magic masala, kasuri methi, and crushed dry mint leaves. sauté masala on low flame.
- Then add boiled and mashed potatoes, salt, and coriander leaves. mix well.
- aloo masala is ready.
- cool down slightly and make a round shape ball from the masala and keep it aside.
Making batata vada
- Set oil on medium heat for deep frying.
- Now take a bread slice, deep into the water, and squeeze water with your hand.
- Then place the masala ball in the centre and coat it with bread size. Make all vada in the same way. (refer to video)
- Whisk the batter once again & coat the bread-coated masala ball with the besan batter.
- Add coated vada balls in hot oil for deep frying, deep fry in hot oil on medium flame until they are crispy & golden brown.
- Now drain off over wire rack and fry all vada into the same way.
- Enjoy batata vada with chutney and fried chili.
- In a pan, add water, dates, tamarind, and jaggery. Boil on medium flame till dates and tamarind become soft.
- Cool down mixture completely and add into mixture jar.
- Then add garlic cloves, green chili, ginger, white sesame seeds, coriander seeds, red chili powder, salt, and water. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Sieve the chutney mixture. Add some water to make the chutney consistency slightly thin.
- Finally, add some coriander seeds and white sesame seeds. Mix well.
- bhajiya chutney is ready to serve
- Consistency of besan batter has pouring and thin coating to the backside of a spoon.
- rest besan batter for 15 minutes so gram flour is properly soaked.
- fennel seeds and coriander seeds give a nice flavor to the masala.
- raw mango pieces give a tangy taste of masala. you can use amchur powder instead of it.
- The taste of the stuffing should be slightly spicy and tangy.
- soak bread slightly into the water and squeeze its water with your hand. So it will easily coat to masala ball.
- fry batata vada on medium flame.
- batata vada tastes great when it is served hot.