Surti batata vada or limbu vada famous street food of Surat. The taste of vada is slightly spicy, tangy, and sweet. It is a lip-snacking recipe made with potato, green masala, and gram flour base batter. it is served with fried chilies, onion slices, and lemon pieces, it doesn’t require any chutney with it. It is ideal to be served as a evening snack with a cup of tea or coffee. So with a few basic ingredients try out tasty and street-style surti batata vada or limbu vada.
The key to making tasty batata vada or limbu vada at home are
- Firstly, Besan batter has a medium thick consistency and coated the backside of the spoon very well. Also, whisk besan batter for 2-3 minutes, so air particles incorporate into it and help to make fluffy batata vada.
- The taste of batata vada is slightly spicy, sweet and tangy. You can adjust green chilli, sugar and lemon juice according to your taste.
- Deep fry batata vada on medium flame till it is evenly cooked. Do not fry it on high or low flame.
- Lastly, batata vada tastes great when served hot with fried chilies and onion slices.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
- pakoda recipes collection
- south indian recipe collection
- snacks recipes collection
Batata vada recipe | surti batata vada recipe | how to make Gujarati batata vada
- 1 cup besan gram flour
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1/8 tsp or pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp hot oil
- ¾ cup water
For aloo masala
- 4 medium size or 500 grm boiled potatoes
- 6-7 spicy green chilli as per your taste
- 2 inch ginger
- ½ cup chopped green garlic white and green part
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 8-9 curry leaves
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp black salt
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Oil for deep frying
- Serve with onion slices fried chillies and lemon pieces
Making besan batter
- in a mixing bowl, add the besan, turmeric powder, hing, and salt and mix well.
- add water gradually to make a smooth batter making sure there should not be any lumps.
- Use a whisk to whisk the batter nicely, whisk for at least 4-5 minutes, and makes sure the consistency of the batter should not be too thick or too thin, it should be in flowy consistency.
- Once whisked well, let the batter rest for a minimum time of 20 minutes.
Making aloo masala
- In a mixing bowl, mash boiled potatoes and keep them aside.
- In a mixture jar, add green chili, ginger, and green garlic. Without adding water Grind it into coarse paste.
- Now in a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and hing. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add grinded ginger, garlic, and green chili paste. Sauté it.
- Switch off the gas and add green masala to the boiled potatoes.
- Also add coriander leaves, salt to taste, black salt, garam masala, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Aloo masala is ready.
- Make a round shape ball from the masala and keep it aside.
Making batata vada
- Set oil on medium heat for deep frying.
- Now add baking soda and hot oil into the besan batter. Whisk the batter once again & further coat the masala with the besan batter.
- Add coated vada balls in hot oil for deep frying, deep fry in hot oil on medium flame until they are crispy & golden brown.
- Now drain off over wire rack and fry all vada into the same way.
- Enjoy batata vada with lemon juice, fried chili, and onion slices.
- the batter has to pour consistency and medium thick coated the backside of the spoon very well.
- rest batter for 20 minutes so gram flour is properly soaked.
- coarsely grind chili, ginger, and green garlic.
- sauté green garlic till its raw smell goes away and becomes soft.
- fry batata vada on medium flame.