Batata vada is an all-time favorite deep-fried snack made with tasty potato masala and ulta vada pava is an interesting street food recipe made with pav bread stuffed with potato masala and deep-fried till crisp. Both are tasty and the lip-snacking recipes are made with the same masala and gram flour base batter. I also share dry garlic chutney and green chutney recipes. Try these quick and easy street-style recipes with all available ingredients in your kitchen.
The key to making batata vada and ultavada pav at home are
- For the masala, cool down boiled potatoes completely, so they become dry and no moisture in it and masala become dry.
- Besan batter has a medium thick consistency and coated the backside of the spoon very well. Also, whisk besan batter for 2-3 minutes, so air particles incorporate into it and help to make fluffy batata vada.
- Lastly, Deep fry batata vada and ulta vada pav on medium flame till it is evenly cooked.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Batata vada recipe | ulta vadapav recipe | street style inside out vada pav recipe | vada pav chutney recipe
For aloo masala
- 600 grm or 4 medium size boiled potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 5-6 garlic paste
- 3-4 green chilli paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Some coriander leaves
- 2 cup besan - gram flour
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 +1/4 cup water
For dry garlic chutney
- 9-10 roasted garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 3 tbsp roasted coconut
- 1.5 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
For green chutney
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- Oil for deep frying
Making aloo masala
- In a mixing bowl, mash boiled potatoes and keep them aside.
- Now in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and hing. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add ginger, garlic, and green chilli paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Now, lower the flame and add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Switch off the gas and add the tempering to the boiled potatoes.
- Also, add salt and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Aloo masala is ready.
- Make a round shape ball from the masala and keep it aside.
Making besan batter
- in a mixing bowl, add the besan & other ingredients of the batter and mix well.
- add water gradually to make a smooth batter making sure there should not be any lumps.
- Use a whisk to whisk the batter nicely, whisk for at least 4-5 minutes, and make sure the consistency of the batter should not be too thick or too thin, it should be in a flowy texture.
- Once whisked well, let the batter rest for a minimum time of 25-30 minutes.
Making dry garlic chutney
- In a mixture jar, add roasted garlic cloves, roasted peanuts, and roasted dry coconut.
- Then add red chilli powder and salt.
- Without adding water, grind chutney into coarse damp powder. Keep it aside.
Making green chutney
- In a mixture jar, add coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chilli, cumin seeds, salt, lemon juice, sugar, and some cold water.
- Grind it into a smooth paste. Green chutney is ready. keep it aside.
Making batata vada
- Set oil on medium heat for deep frying, whisk the batter once again & further coat the vadas with the besan batter.
- Add coated vada balls in hot oil for deep frying, deep fry in hot oil on medium-high flame until the vadas take their shape, further low down the heat and fry until they are crispy & golden brown.
- Now drain off over wire rack and fry all vada into the same way.
- Enjoy batata vada with fried chili and chutneys.
Making ulta vada pav
- firstly, slice the pav in half.
- spread green chutney on one side and garlic chutney on the other.
- also, place a ball-sized aloo masala and press gently.
- cover the pav and is ready to coat with besan batter.
- now dip the pav in besan batter and deep fry in hot oil.
- fry on both sides until it turns golden brown and crisp.
- now drain off the wire rack and cut it in half.
- enjoy ulta vada pav recipe with fried chili and chutneys.
- cool down boiled potatoes entirely so there will be no moisture in them.
- the batter has a medium thick consistency and coated the backside of the spoon very well.
- rest batter for 30 minutes so gram flour is properly soaked.
- roast garlic for a few minutes so its raw smell disappears.
- dry roast coconut and peanuts to increase the self life of chutney.
- Grind chutney into a coarse or semi-fine mixture.
- fry vada on medium flame.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes