Besan pudla is a savory pancake made using chickpea flour. It is also called as besan chilla or veg omelet and is a great dish to serve for breakfast or keep for a tiffin box. It is quick and easy to prepare in under 30 minutes. It is very healthy as well, as it is protein-packed and gluten-free. I share two methods to make besan pudla which is easy and loved by all kinds of age groups. Do give this one a try!
Besan pudla recipe | besan chilla recipe | how to make besan chilla
For pudla batter
- 2 cup gram flour - besan
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp hing
- ½ tsp ajwain
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup water
For vegetable pudla
- 1 cup pudla batter
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- ½ grated onion
- ½ grated tomato
For pudla dosa
- 1 cup pudla batter
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp black salt
- Chopped onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped green chilli
- Coriander leaves
- Grated cheese
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, turmeric powder, salt, hing, ajwain, and required or 1.5 cup water to make a medium-thick batter.
- Whisk batter in one direction so air incorporates into the batter and make soft and fluffy pudla.
- Cover and rest the batter for 20-25 minutes.
- Divide the batter into two parts.
- Add one part of the batter into a mixing bowl, add red chilli powder, coriander leaves, green chili-ginger-garlic paste, grated onion, and grated tomatoes. Mix well.
- Heat the tawa, and wipe tawa with a wet cloth to decrease its temperature. Spread pudla batter in a circle motion.
- Add oil on the sides of pudla and cook pudla evenly from both sides.
- Fold the cooked pudla and serve with tomato ketchup and chutney.
- Take another part of the batter, and spread the batter in a circular motion on a heated tawa.
- Add red chilli powder, chaat masala and black salt in a bowl. Mix well and sprinkle masala on pudla.
- Then sprinkle chopped onion, tomatoes, green chilli and coriander leaves on it. Grate cheese on it.
- When pudla becomes crispy, fold it and serve hot with coriander chutney and tomato sauce.
- whisk batter in one direction so air incorporates in the batter and pudla become soft and fluffy.
- pudla batter has a medium-thick consistency.
- rest batter for 20 minutes so gram flour (besan) soaks properly.
- clean tawa with a wet cloth so its temperature decreases.
- spread pudla on low flame.