Bhatha ni kani is popular farsan (snacks) of city surat in Gujarati. It is crunchy, spicy deep fried snacks made from gram flour (besan) and regular spices. It is extremely simple recipe and taste is similar to Gujarati tikha gathiya. I share perfect ingredient ratio and few no fail tips helps you to make perfect bhatha ni kani on first attempt. It also has a very long shelf life and can be store it in airtight container for months.
- Firstly, I made white water and oil mixture with soda helps to make crispy and soft bhatha ni kani.
- Dough should be smooth and slight soft. Do not knead tight dough for it.
- Fry bhatha ni kani on medium flame. else it will be raw from inside..
- Lastly, it has a very long shelf life and can be preserved for months. Store it in an airtight container in a warm dry place. also for deep frying use fresh oil and do not reuse deep fried oil, to avoid the stale smell.
Bhatha ni kani | surat famous bhatha ni kani | tikha gathiya| Gujarati gathiya
- 1 + ¾ cup gram flour besan or as required
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder according to your taste
- oil for deep frying
- Sprinkle black salt
- Sieve 2 cup gram flour in a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, add water, oil and baking soda. Whisk mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add carom seeds, hing, black pepper powder, salt and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Now add chickpea flour (besan) gradually. Mix it and make sure there are no lumps. Make a smooth and slightly soft dough. Do not knead tight dough.
- Heat oil in a frying kadai over medium flame.
- Now, holding zara or slicer over oil and grease it with oil.
- Place the dough on zara and rub dough with your hand.
- Fry gathiya until they become light brown for around 3-4 minutes.
- Remove gathiya from oil and drain on wire rack or kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle some black salt on fried bhatha ni kani.
- Do the same process for remaining dough.
- Crispy bhatha ni kani is ready. Keep it in air tight container and store in a cool and dry place for 15-20 days.
- whisk water, oil and soda mixture for 2-3 minutes, so soda is properly activate in mixture.
- dough should be smooth and slight soft, do not knead tight dough for it.
- with grease palm, rub the dough on zara plate.
- fry bhatha ni kani on medium flame.