Bread patties are one of the most popular pakoda dishes from mumbai street food. It is crunchy and made with easy stuffed with spiced Potato filling, coated in seasoned gram flour batter, and deep-fried. I also share a spicy green chutney recipe. Do try these quick and easy street-style recipes with all available ingredients in your kitchen.
The key to making bread patties at home are:
- Firstly, Besan batter has medium-thick consistency and coated the backside of the spoon very well. Also, whisk besan batter for 2-3 minutes, so air particles incorporate into it and help to make fluffy bread patties.
- For the masala, cool down boiled potatoes completely, so they become dry and no moisture in it, and masala become dry. Also, the stuffing can be easily extended with the mixture of other vegetables apart from just potatoes. you can add veggies like carrots, cauliflower, peas, and even beans and mix them together as veggies
- I would recommend using normal white sandwich bread slices for this recipe. wholemeal or multi-grain bread slices would also work but white bread is more preferred.
- deep fry these bread patties immediately after soaking in besan batter. also, avoid soaking it at repeated intervals otherwise it may turn soggy.
- Lastly, Deep fry bread patties on medium flame till it is evenly cooked.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for bread patties
- 2 cup besan gram flour
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ajwain
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 +1/2 cup water or as required
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp hot oil
For aloo masala
- 5 medium size boiled potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 5-6 garlic paste
- 4-5 green chilli paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam maala
- Salt to taste
- Some coriander leaves
- ½ lemon juice
For green chutney
- 1 big bunch of coriander leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 4 green chilli
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- Some ice cubes
- Bread or pav
- Oil for deep frying
- batter in a mixing bowl, add the besan & other ingredients of the batter, and mix well.
- add water gradually to make a smooth batter make sure there should not be any lumps.
- Use a whisk to whisk the batter nicely, whisk for at least 4-5 minutes, makes sure the consistency of the batter should not be too thick or too thin, it should be in flowy consistency.
- Once whisked well, let the batter rest for a minimum time of 15-20 minutes.
Making green chutney
- In the mixture jar, add coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chili, cumin seeds, salt, peanuts, lemon juice, sugar, and some ice cubes.
- Grind it into a smooth paste. Green chutney is ready. keep it aside.
Making aloo masala
- In a mixing bowl, mash boiled potatoes and keep them aside.
- Now in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, and hing. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add ginger, garlic, and green chili paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Now, lower the flame and add turmeric powder and garam masala.mix well.
- Switch off the gas and add tempering into boiled potatoes.
- Also add salt, some coriander leaves, and lemon juice. mix well.
- Aloo masala is ready.
Making bread pettis
- Firstly, Cut into the center of the bread and divide it into two parts.
- Spread chutney and masala on it. Keep it aside.
- For another method trim the sides of bread and roll to flatten.
- Spread green chutney and add 1-2 tbsp masala in the center.
- Stick the sides and fold the bread into a triangle shape. Keep it aside.
- Now, Set oil on medium heat for deep frying, whisk the batter once again and add hot and baking soda to it. Mix well.
- Coat the bread patties with besan batter.
- Add coated patties in hot oil for deep frying, deep fry in hot oil on medium-high flame until the patties take their shape, further lower down the heat, and fry until they are crispy & golden brown.
- Now drain off over the wire rack and fry all patties in the same way.
- Enjoy bread patties with fried chili and chutneys.
- the batter has medium-thick consistency and coated the backside of the spoon very well.
- whisk batter for 2-3 minutes, so air particles incorporate into the batter and make it fluffy.
- rest batter of 15-20 minutes, so besan (gram flour) is soaked properly.
- cool down boiled potatoes completely so there will be no moisture in them.
- Use ice cubes or cold water while grinding chutney.