Butter murukku is a very popular deep-fried snack that is long like sticks or sometimes spiral in shape. It is made with rice flour, roasted chana dal, poha, and regular spices. basically, quick and easy hack to the traditional chakri recipe. this can be an instant hit snack for your next festival celebrations or a tea-time snack. Do try this!
The key to making crispy and melt-in-mouth butter murukku at home are;
- Firstly, for murukku use fine powder rice flour and avoid coarse rice flour. Also, add some poha and roasted chana dal powder for the melt-in-mouth texture of murukku. You can use maida (all-purpose flour) instead of it.
- Secondly, knead the medium stiff and smooth dough for the murukku. if the dough is too stiff then murukku will break when you try to shape them using a mold or if the dough is too soft it will absorb too much oil. Also once the dough is prepared, prepare the chakli immediately otherwise the murukku would be hard and brittle.
- Thirdly, fry murukku on medium flame, do not fry it on high flame otherwise it becomes soft from the inside and on low flame, it will absorb oil. Also, once it cools down store them in an airtight container for a longer shelf life.
- Lastly, you can store the murukku in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. However, it is recommended to consume it within a week for the best taste and texture.
Butter murukku recipe | butter chakli recipe | instant murukku recipe
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup poha
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp black sesame seeds - optional
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder - or black pepper powder
- 2 tsp butter
- ¾ cup hot water or as required
- Oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour.
- Now, In a pan, add poha and roasted chana dal. roast it on low flame till it becomes crisp.
- Add them into a mixture jar and grind them into fine powder
- Sieve grinded powder into a mixing bowl.
- Then add cumin seeds, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, salt, red chilli powder, and butter. Mix well.
- Now add hot water gradually and knead the semi-soft dough. Do not knead hard or very soft dough. (refer to video)
- Then divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Grease the chakli machine with oil and place star shaped disc into it.
- Now take a chakli machine with an attached star shaped hole in a round disc.
- Grease the chakli machine with little oil.
- Add the dough to machine and close the lid.
- Heat oil on medium flame. Then directly press the murukku into the oil breaking it into 3–4-inch pieces. (Refer to video)
- deep fry them on medium flame until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove them on a wire rack or kitchen paper towel to absorb extra oil from it.
- ready to serve or store it in an air-tight container.
- Use fine rice flour for murukku
- The proportion of poha should be half of than flour and the proportion of roasted chana dal should be half than poha.
- Roast poha and roasted chana dal on low flame till it becomes crispy and easily grind into powder.
- Sieve grinded poha and chana dal powder.
- Do not add more butter to the flour mixture.
- If the flour mixture binds between hands means the proportion of butter is perfect.
- Add hot water gradually to knead the dough.
- Knead the medium-soft dough for murukku. Do not knead the hard dough.
- Do not rest the dough.
- Fry murukku on medium flame till it becomes crisp and golden brown.