It is a traditional and unique khichdi recipe made with rice, dals, some vegetable,s and sour buttermilk. it is known for its similarities with the most famous masala khichi, but has totally different tastes and flavors. It is a healthy meal that is easy to digest and so good for the body. it is generally served for lunch/dinner with Gujarati thepla and a choice of pickle. Do try this!
- Firstly, I used small grain rice and two types of lentils moongdal and tuvar dal. You can use any lentils but the proportion of rice and dal should be equal.
- The water ratio in this khichdi is 3 times the rice and lentils together which makes a soft, porridge-like consistency for the final dish. To make dry-ish khichdi reduce the water to 2 cups.
- You can add vegetables according to your taste and choice to make khichdi nutritious.
- use sour curd or yogurt to prepare the buttermilk. It gives rich flavor and taste to khichdi. Also, add some besan in buttermilk to avoid its spoiling while cooking with khichdi.
- lastly, if you are serving the khichdi once it is cooled, make sure to add water to have a watery consistency. basically, as time passes, khichdi attains a thick consistency due to the dals and the spice taste may get concentrated.
Chaaswali khichdi | traditional Gujarati khichdi | how to make dal khichdi
To pressure cook khichdi
- ½ cup small grain rice
- ¼ cup moong dal
- ¼ cup toor dal
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ajwain
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1 inch ginger pieces
- Some curry leaves
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup potato pieces
- ¼ cup green peas
- ½ cup chopped cabbage
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp besan
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Some coriander leaves
- Serve with melted ghee
- Wash dal and rice under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Add water and soak dal and rice for 20 minutes.
- Now in a pressure cooker add 3 tbsp ghee, cumin seeds, ajwain and hing of hing. Sauté it.
- Then add chopped green chilli, ginger pieces, curry leaves and peanuts. sauté it.
- Now add chopped carrot, potatoes, green peas, cabbage, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. sauté it.
- Add soaked rice-dal mixture and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Now add 3 cup water and mix well. Pressure cook khichdi on medium flame for 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add 1cup sour buttermilk and besan. Mix well.
- When pressure cooker release its pressure naturally, then open the lid and add buttermilk mixture into khichdi. Mix well.
- Cover and cook khichdi for 5 minutes so buttermilk flavored add into khichdi.
- Then add garam masala and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Switch off the flame and serve khichdi with melted ghee.
- proportion of rice and dals should be equal.
- wash dal and rice till water is clear.
- proportion of water should be 3 times more than rice-dal mixture.
- addition of besan into chaas helps to avoid its spoiling.
- there are no lumps into chaas mixture.
- cover and cook khichdi with chaas mixture for 5-7 minute on low flame.
- khichdi taste great when it is serve hot with melted ghee.