Corn appe easy snacks recipe made with sweet corn, soaked rice, semolina, and regular spices. These round-shaped dumplings are generally served as a snack but can also be served as a morning breakfast recipe or kid’s lunch box. I also share 3 different ways to make this corn snack, which are easy to make and taste great with green chutney or tomato sauce. It is an easy and foolproof recipe for soft and spongy appe for the first time. Do try this!
The key to making tasty corn appe at home are
- Firstly, I made appe with soaked raw rice, semolina, and sweet corn paste. Corn paste gives softness and taste to appe.
- appe batter should be medium thick and pouring consistency. If your batter is slightly thinner then add some semolina (rava) to adjust its consistency.
- you can add vegetables of your choice to make them nutritious. but ensure to make it finely chopped so that it easily mixes with the batter.
- you can replace the Eno fruit salt with baking soda, however, the softness is more in eno than compared to baking soda.
- Lastly, there is no hard and fast rule that the cook nasta into appe pan, you can be cooked in tadka pan which is easily available in every kitchen or you can make pancake or chilla with this batter.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for corn appe
For corn paste
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 3-4 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 tbsp water
For corn appe
- 1 cup soaked rice
- ½ cup semolina coarse rava
- ½ cup water
- Corn paste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ cup sweet corn
- ½ cup chopped onion
- Some coriander leaves
- ½ tsp eno fruit salt for half batter
- Oil to cook appe
Tempering for appe
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Some curry leaves
- 1 tsp chaat masala optional
- Wash and soaked raw rice for 1 hrs.
- Now in a mixture jar, add raw rice and ½ cup water. grind it into smooth paste.
- Take out batter into mixing bowl. then add semolina and mix well. Cover and rest batter for 10 minutes.
- Now in a mixture jar, add corn kernels, green chilli, ginger and some water. grind it into smooth and thick paste.
- Then add grinded paste into mixing bowl, also add salt, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, corn kernels, chopped onion and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Batter should be medium thick and pouring consistency.
- Take out some batter into another bowl, then add ½ tsp eno into half of batter. mix well.
- Now heat and grease the appe pan with oil.
- Then pour the batter into moulds. make sure to add little oil in each mould to get a crispy appe.
- cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the appe is cooked well. further, flip gently and cook both sides.
- Now for tadka, in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves. sauté it add corn appe and toss it into tadka.
- Then sprinkle some chaat masala and serves.
- Or to cook nasta into tadka pan, add 1 tbsp oil and 1 ladle batter. Cover and cook on low flame till appe is properly cooked and crispy from both the sides.
- You can also cook nasta into regular pan.
- Enjoy corn appe with spicy green chutney.
- You can make corn appe with rice flour.
- Semolina (sooji/rava) gives coarse texture to appe, also absorb water from rice paste.
- Corn paste gives softness and taste to nasta.
- Consistency of batter should be thick and pouring.
- In appe pan, cook corn appe on low-medium flame till it become crispy from both the sides.
- In tadka pan, cook corn appe on low flame; do not cook it on high flame otherwise it become raw from inside.
- Corn appe taste great when it serve hot with spicy chutney.