Crispy masala rice flour sticks or chips made with rice flour, gram flour (besan), and regular spices. It is crisp and has a similar texture to any popular Gujarati farsi puri with a longer shelf life. It is easy to make and also be a simple evening tea time snack or kids snacks recipe. I have shared a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no fail tips that helps you to make perfect rice flour chips on the first attempt. Do try this!
- firstly, I use some gram flour (besan) with rice flour in the dough. Because gram flour gives texture and flavor to nashta.
- Knead dough smooth and semi-soft. so, I recommend taking equal quantities of rice flour and water, also add little hot water if the dough is not bound properly.
- Roll the roti’s should be medium thick than a normal chapati or roti’s. this would help in attaining a crisp brittle texture. also, do not forget to poke with a knife/cutter before deep frying.
- Lastly, Fry nasta in small batches on a medium flame. once deep fried, cool down and store them in an airtight container for longer shelf life.
Crispy rice flour sticks | rice flour chips | how to make rice flour chips
- 1 cup rice flour
- ¼ cup gram flour besan
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chopped curry leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- Some chaat masala
- Oil for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, add rice flour and gram flour. mix well.
- Now in a pan, add water, oil, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, red chilli flakes, turmeric powder, salt, chopped curry leaves, and some coriander leaves. mix well and bring water to boil.
- When water starts to boil, lower the flame and add the flour mixture to it. mix well.
- Switch off the gas. Cover and steam dough for 5 minutes.
- Now add the flour mixture into a large pan. grease the hand with oil and start kneading the dough. The dough should be smooth and semi-soft. add little hot water if the dough is not properly bind.
- Now take a medium size ball and flatten it out between your palm.
- Then roll puri into medium size and medium thick roti. do not roll thin roti.
- And using a cutter or knife cut it into medium size strips. You can also roll small-size roti and cut them into different shaped triangles. (Refer to video)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium-low heat for deep frying. Add strips or nasta into hot oil and fry it on medium flame till become golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Remove them to the wire rack and fry all triangles in the same way.
- Now sprinkle some chaat masala on fried chips and mix well.
- Cool down rice flour sticks completely, then store them in an airtight container.
- addition of gram flour (besan) makes nashta more flavorful.
- proportion of water and rice flour should be the same.
- when water starts to boil, lower the flame and add the flour mixture to it.
- switch off the gas, and the cover, and steam the dough for 5 minutes.
- knead the semi-soft and smooth dough for nashta.
- fry nashta on medium flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown.