It is quick and interesting snack recipe made with rice, boiled potatoes, and regular spices. I know there are lots of variants when it comes to this recipe; people make it with leftover dosa batter. In this recipe, I made an instant version of rice punugulu with boiled potato paste, which gives softness and fluffiness to it. It is easy to cook and gets ready in less than 20 minutes and is a foolproof recipe for soft and spongy pakodi. Do try this!
- Firstly, I made pakodi with soaked rice, you can also use rice flour or leftover idli and dosa batter instead of it.
- I use boiled potato paste in pakodi batter, which gives fluffiness and softness to it. You can use soaked urad dal or maida instead of it.
- I add green chili and regular spices into pakodi batter, you can your choice of veggies like chopped onion or carrot to make it more flavourful.
- Fry pakodi on medium flame to cook from inside and crisp from out,
- Lastly, rice pakodi or instant rice punugulu tastes great when served hot and crispy.
Crispy rice pakodi | rice pakora | instant rice punugulu | rice bonda
- 1 cup soaked rice
- 3 medium size or 300 grm boiled potatoes
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup water to grind rice and boiled potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jeera
- 4-5 chopped green chilli
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 medium size chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium size chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 dry red chilli
- 3 kashmiri dry red chilli
- 1 tsp jeera
- Salt to taste
- 1 small piece jaggery
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Some curry leaves
- Wash and soak rice in slightly hot water for 2 hrs.
- Remove water and add soaked rice into the mixture jar. Then add ¼ cup water and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add grinded paste into a mixing bowl.
- Then add boiled potatoes into the mixture jar and add ¼ cup of water and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add grinded paste into mixing bowl and mix well.
- Then whisk the batter for 3-4 minutes in one direction, so air particles incorporate into it and it becomes light and fluffy.
- Now add salt, cumin seeds, chopped green chili, and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Cover and rest the batter for 15 minutes.
- Now on medium flame heat, the oil in a pan wet your fingers with water and add a little batter into the oil.
- Now keep the flame on medium and fry pakodi till its golden brown.
- Now drain off over the wire rack and fry all pakodi in the same way.
- Serve crispy and hot rice pakodi with chutney.
- In a mixture jar, add tomatoes, onion, garlic, dry red chili, kashmiri red chili, cumin seeds, salt, and jaggery. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Now in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, and curry leaves. sauté it.
- Add grinded paste and mix well.
- Cover and cook chutney till oil separates from its sides.
- Serve chutney with crispy rice pakodi.
- Grind rice into a smooth and thick paste. Do not add more water while grinding rice.
- whisk batter for 3-4 minutes in one direction, so air particles incorporate into it and it becomes light and fluffy.
- consistency of the batter should be thick and dropping.
- fry pakodi on medium flame.