Doodh pak is a traditional Gujarati sweet dish made with milk, rice, and dry fruits. Traditionally in doodh pak, milk is slow-boiled to thicken which is flavored with cardamom and jaiphal powder. But in this recipe, I made milk powder-based mawa which is easily prepared and gives instantly creaminess and thickness to doodhpak. It is really delicious and enjoyed best with poori. Do try this!
The key to making creamy doodh pak at home are:
- use a heavy-bottomed pan or nonstick pan to prepare this recipe. Otherwise, milk may cream may stick to the bottom and you may have a burnt smell.
- I made flour and milk powder-based mawa to give thickness and creaminess to doodh pak but you can use milk powder or condense milk instead of mawa.
- When rice is completely cooked then add milk powder mawa into doodhpak, otherwise rice is not properly cooked.
- chilled doodh pak for a minimum of 2 hrs before serving.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for doodh pak
For doodh pak
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp pistachio
- 8-10 almonds
- 8-10 cashews
- 1 tbsp charoli
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp jayphal powder
For instant mawa
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup milk powder
- Soak rice and dry fruits into slightly hot water for 15 minutes. Remove water and cut dry fruit into slices.
- In a pan, add ghee and rice. Sauté rice for 2 minutes.
- Now add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Keep the flame medium and simmer it till the rice is completely cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add ghee and milk. When the milk starts boiling reduce the flame to low and add milk powder gradually. Stir continuously to prevent lump formation.
- Stir and cook until mixture starts to thicken and mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Instant mawa is ready.
- When rice is completely cooked then adds instant mawa to it. Mix well.
- Doodh pak quickly starts to thicken.
- Then add sugar, chopped dry fruits, and charoli. Mix well and boil for 5 minutes till sugar is completely melt and dry fruits flavor added into doodh pak.
- Lastly, add cardamom powder and jayphal powder. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame
- Cooldown doodh pak completely or refrigerator it for 2 hrs. Serve.
- instant mawa gives thickness and creaminess to doodhpak.
- When rice is completely cooked then add mawa and sugar into doodhpak.
- Chilled doodhpak into the refrigerator for 2 hrs before serving.